University Bias Incident Team
This pane clears float!
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is dedicated to fostering a welcoming, inclusive campus community that empowers everyone to achieve their highest potential. While mechanisms are in place to ensure the safety and health of the UW-Platteville community, incidents of bias can occur that fall outside of the scope of these policies, yet still severely hinder the campus community from achieving this goal.
The University Bias Incident Team (UBIT) exists to help bridge this gap by providing an organized response to reported bias incidents, assuring that resources and support are available for those who need it, and serving as a catalyst in identifying patterns of concerns and infusing programming, education, and training to proactively combat obstacles that hinder our campus in providing an inclusive community.
Who we are
UBIT is a group of campus representatives committed to supporting students, faculty, and staff who have been affected by a bias incident.
Incidents of bias can affect anyone on campus. They can be directed at groups on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion, among other factors; and they can affect different populations on campus, such as students—whether living in the residence halls or off campus—faculty, staff, and visitors. For these reasons, the membership of UBIT was deliberately chosen to include representatives with diverse expertise in various areas of the university:
- Assistant Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion
- Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Chief of University Police
- Dean of Students
- Director of Human Resources/Affirmative Action Officer
- Director of International Programs
- Director of Multicultural Student Affairs
- Director of Residence Life
- Director of University Information and Communications
What we do
UBIT reviews any reported incidents of bias, gathers information, and recommends a plan of action to ensure that those affected by the incident receive support.
How we serve you
UBIT provides the campus community with an online, confidential reporting form that can be submitted anonymously. As reports are investigated, information is only shared with those assisting in the response and compliance with all state and federal mandates is maintained.
The team also plays an integral role in shaping the campus-wide programming and initiatives regarding civility, inclusivity, and diversity issues. Spending the time to thoroughly understand each reported bias incident gives the team the advantage of identifying patterns and using that knowledge to inform appropriate campus-wide groups of the needed areas of training, ensuring that the university collaboratively moves forward to achieve a welcoming, inclusive campus.
Anyone can report an incident of bias that they have witnessed or experienced by using the online form. The following are some more tips to consider:
- If you feel unsafe, always call University Police immediately at 911.
For concerns or assistance filling out the form, use the following resources during business hours, or leave a message after hours.
- For incidents that occur in residence halls, contact the resident director or the director of Residence Life at 608.342.1845.
- For any student-related incident, contact the dean of students at 608.342.1854.
- For incidents related to employment, contact the director of Human Resources at 608.342.1176.
- For general inquiries, contact the assistant chancellor of Diversity and Inclusion at 608.342.6152.
This pane clears float!