ENGRG 7820 Quality Engineering and Management
|Course Number:||ENGRG 7820|
|Course Name:||Quality Engineering and Management|
|Course Description:||This course provides practical tools for planning and completing quality improvement projects. The first part of the course deals with an introduction to quality management philosophies, tools, and approaches. The second part (about 70%) of the course is devoted to the Six-Sigma (SS) philosophy, roadmap, tools, and techniques of planning and executing quality improvement projects. The course concludes with the application of the Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) approach to design or improve products and processes.|
- Develop a strategic plan for quality using a team approach and taking into account the voice of the customer and the market.
- Understand quality system requirements and the relevant national and international standards for a quality system. Understand the ISO 9000:2000 family of standards, assist in preparing the quality documents at any level of the tier, conduct an internal quality audit, and prepare for an external audit.
- Understand offline and online quality engineering methods and tools. Analyze the measurement system. Apply quality engineering methods and tools to improve products and processes.
- Use statistically designed experiments to improve products and processes.
- Apply SPC methods to improve quality of products and services. Reduce scrap and rework. Compute process capability index (Cp and Cpk) or process performance index (Pp and Ppk) values.
- Utilize Minitab for data representation, statistical analysis, confidence interval estimation, test of hypothesis, probability plotting, basic and advanced quality tools, ANOVA, ANOM, design of experiments, regression analysis, and other applications.
- Gain experience through case studies to train other personnel in quality engineering.
- Become familiar with the resources on the Web for any of the topics listed above.
- Conduct reliability tests and analyze data.
- Assist an organization in preparing and applying for any one of the numerous quality awards.
- Select and use an acceptance sampling standard and plan.
- Conduct Six Sigma quality improvement projects.
Number of Exams
Number of Assignments
Number of Projects