BUSADMIN 7540 Advanced Quality Management
|Course Number:||BUSADMIN 7540|
|Course Name:||Advanced Quality Management|
|Course Description:||This course focuses on achieving quality through continuous improvement of processes, customer satisfaction, and creation of a team environment. Emphasis on major tenets of the field, systems thinking, Hoshin planning, and data collection and analysis.|
|Prerequisites:||BUSADMIN 3540/5540 Quality Management.|
- Navigate through the course materials and contact other students in the course.
- Summarize the quality philosophy and explain how it is different from traditional management philosophies.
- Discuss what relationships with customers and suppliers are like in a quality organization.
- Describe the PDCA cycle and the 7-step planning process and how they are interrelated.
- Identify which quality tools are appropriate for which tasks and have a basic understanding of how they are used.
- Compare and contrast different approaches to or perspectives on quality.
- Differentiate between the philosophies of the main quality gurus.
- Summarize the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award categories and explain the value of the award and of the application process.
- Understand the role played by quality in the global economy.
- Give examples of personal experiences (your own or of others) that illustrate the real-world practice of the theories in this unit.
- Critique Web sites.
- Integrate continuous quality improvement, reengineering, and PDCA to summarize strategic quality planning.
- Differentiate between customer-relationship management and supplier-relationship management.
- Give examples of how relationships with both suppliers and customers affect the final perception of quality.
- Understand and explain the basics of designing for quality through Quality Function Deployment.
- Use various types of quality tools and techniques, both basic and more advanced, to analyze situations and their causes, investigate and assess potential solutions, and implement improvements.
- Integrate planning models and Design of Experiments with tools and techniques for strategic application in Six Sigma.
- Apply the quality approach to managing people and teams.
- Relate quality methods to project management.
- Explain the relationship among quality management, adult learning theory, and staff training and development and describe how these impact organizational learning.
- Summarize various methods of assessing an organization’s quality system.
- Apply the course topics to yourself and give examples of how you have been or will likely be affected by organizational learning, quality management, and continuous improvement.
- Make suggestions to your employer about steps to take toward improving the organization’s quality system.
- Make suggestions to your instructor for improvements in this course.
Number of Exams
Number of Assignments
Number of Projects