Alumni Advisory Board wants to connect with you
Last year was a very successful inaugural year for the Distance Learning Center Alumni Advisory Board (AAB) as a constituent chapter of the UW-Platteville Alumni Association. In addition to accomplishing all of the logistical tasks associated with the new chapter, the group was heavily involved in providing feedback on a wide variety of activities associated with distance education. This feedback was in the areas of: marketing/recruitment, our new website, technology enhancements for classes/projects, the five-year distance education plan, characteristics/skills needed by the new provost and chancellor, alumni activities/communication, and student retention.
As the group enters its second year, the ideas are flowing. Making connections is our theme for the current year’s activities. These connections can be in a number of areas, including both students and alumni. This year, we are anticipating adding our 1000th alumnus to the ranks of people who have graduated from our distance education programs. As our alumni base continues to grow, the AAB is focused on activities and projects to help you stay connected to UW-Platteville. For a complete listing of activities, check out the AAB website. If you have suggestions for other activities or would like to become involved with the AAB, please contact Dawn Drake at firstname.lastname@example.org or one of the AAB board members.
Alumni Advisory Board recruiting new members
Your distance education Alumni Advisory Board (AAB) continues to be a very active group, always looking for new ways to contribute to distance education at UW-Platteville and establishing better ways to communicate with alumni of the distance programs.
We completed the process for the AAB to become a recognized constituent chapter of the UW-Platteville Alumni Association in 2008. This year, we have communicated about our responsibilities as a constituent chapter and worked on our usual projects including:
- Holding officer elections
- Working with the parent alumni association
- Organizing a membership campaign
- Developing a financial plan
In addition to these projects, we have managed several other changes. With the redesign of the distance education website, the AAB website also received a facelift, both in content and design. We will continue to update this site as the group evolves. If you have suggestions for new items to include on the website, do not hesitate to contact us.
Our new Outreach Program Manager, Ron Bonlender has begun working with the AAB. Many of the projects that have been on hold will now get some much-deserved attention.
As 2009 draws to a close, I would like to thank the wonderful members of the AAB for their service and dedication to UW-Platteville. We are in the process of recruiting new members for the AAB. If you are interested in learning more about the AAB or being considered as a director for the group, please contact me by December 15 at email@example.com .
Alumni Advisory Board Continues to Excel
The Alumni Advisory Board (AAB) is active and involved in a number of projects. In the first six months of 2009, the group:
- Started the new board with 22 active alumni. (We have since had two people that needed to drop from the group due to unexpected work commitments.)
- Elected officers for the group (Dan Avenarius-President, Dan Chlebos-Vice-President, Beth Bland-Secretary/Treasurer).
- Reviewed and made recommendations for the online Return to Learn orientation course.
- Made recommendations for mentoring opportunities between board members and current/prospective students.
- Provided input for the distance education task force, regarding the five-year plan for distance education.
- Wrote articles for the distance education blog.
- Reviewed the virtual graduation site and gave suggestions for changes.
- Updated the AAB website.
- Brainstormed methods to reach out to people with online education who are losing their jobs in tough economic times.
- Brainstormed suggestions for fund-raising for distance education.
In addition to the items mentioned above, five members of the AAB (Gary Apperson, Dan Avenarius, Melissa Gavin, Carl Ross, and Francie Tuescher) attended the May graduation festivities to congratulate the new alumni of our distance learning programs. Francie Tuescher represents the AAB at the Alumni Association meetings that are held quarterly at the UW-Platteville campus.
Plans for the remainder of 2009 are in place and will continue to be developed. If you have recommendations for this group, please contact Dawn Drake (firstname.lastname@example.org). I would like to add my personal thanks to this group for their dedication, commitment, and support to UW-Platteville!
Alumni Advisory Board Grows
The Distance Education Alumni Advisory Board (AAB) is off to a great start in 2009. Our call for participation was met with a great response, and we added eight members this year. This is the first year that the group will be functioning as a recognized constituent chapter of the UW-Platteville Alumni Association. We believe that this new affiliation will continue to increase the visibility and impact of the alumni from the distance programs. As usual, this group will be involved in a wide variety of activities. Some of the topics include
- Recruiting and retaining students
- Developing opportunities for alumni to stay connected to UW-Platteville
- Providing feedback on policies, processes, procedures, and projects associated with distance education
- Determining how to use the funds that come to the chapter
- Encouraging alumni support of UW-Platteville and distance education
To learn more about the members and the various projects they are involved in, please click the "Members" link in the right navigation of this page. If you would like to get involved or have ideas for new activities for the AAB, feel free to connect with any of the board members.