Research Methods in Criminal Justice
|Course Number:||CRIMLJUS 3900|
|Course Name:||Research Methods in Criminal Justice (Online)|
|Course Description:||An introduction to research methods in criminal justice and criminology, with applications to both pure and applied research. The course provides a basic conceptual framework for understanding and interpreting criminal justice research as well as designing, conducting, and evaluating research projects.|
|Prerequisites:||CRIMLJUS 2130 and CRIMLJUS 2230 with a "C-" or better in each, MATH 1830 and junior standing or a Forensic Investigation major, MATH 1830 and junior standing|
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
NOTE: The information below is representative of the course and is subject to change. The specific details of the course will be available in the Desire2Learn course instance for the course in which a student registers.
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the various methods of conducting empirical research.
- Define key research terms and concepts.
- Be critical consumers of research.
- Identify the steps in the research process.
- Develop research questions and hypotheses.
- Find and summarize literature and statistics relevant to a particular research question.
- Operationalize a research question.
- Demonstrate basic analytical logic given appropriate summary data.
Unit 1: Introduction to Criminal Justice Inquiry
Unit 2: Structuring Criminal Justice Inquiry
Unit 3: Modes of Operation
Unit 4: Application and Analysis
Grades will be determined based on total accumulated points throughout the semester. The breakdown of points is as follows:
|Quiz 1||35 points|
|Quiz 2||35 points|
|Quiz 3||45 points|
|Quiz 4||30 points|
|Summery of Journal Article||50 points|
|1st Project||20 points|
|2nd Project||25 points|
|Mini Assignments (9)||90 points|
|News Article Assignments (2)||20 points|
|A||342 - 380 points|
|B||304 - 341 points|
|C||266 - 303 points|
|D||240 - 265 points|
|F||0 - 239 points|