- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, Drake University
- Educational Specialist Degree in Adult Education, Drake University
- Master of Arts in Mass Communication, Drake University
- Bachelor of Arts in Magazine Journalism, Drake University
- CMP (Certified Meeting Professional, since 1994)
- APR (Accredited in Public Relations, 2001-2010)
Reed retired in 2015. Prior to that, she was a professor in the Department of Media Studies and director of the Teaching & Learning Center (now the Teaching and Technology Center) on campus. She taught courses in public relations and communication. Her duties included the facilitation of the following online courses in Business Communication, Meeting & Event Management, and Organizational Communication.
Reed began teaching at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in August 1999, after 12 years of teaching experience and 20 years of professional experience in communication. Reed authored one text on volunteerism, fundraising, and grants management. She authored several chapters for texts on meeting management, and edited several texts on topics related to public relations. Reed was granted emeritus status upon retirement and continues to teach as needed in online programs.