FAQs - Current Students

How do I register for a class?

Registration for online courses begins several weeks before a semester begins and closes two weeks before a semester begins. Some advanced courses require prerequisites and advisor approval is necessary before registering for independent study, portfolio and capstone courses. Once admitted, online students may register for courses.

Some undergraduate courses are also offered in the print-based format.

Special (non-degree-seeking) students can register for a Single Course Enrollment.

How do I purchase my textbooks and course materials?

Textbook information is available on our website.

How do I get technical help?

Contact the Distance Learning Center Help Desk at 877.854.3083 or DistEdSupport@uwplatt.edu for assistance with:

• Accessing your online courses and campus resources such as Karrmann Library
• Accessing PASS and your Student Center
• Your UW-Platteville NetID (username)/password
• Questions about using Desire2Learn

The Pioneer Administrative Software System (PASS) is used for course registration, payment, financial aid, administrative functions, and more.

UW-Platteville utilizes Microsoft Office 365 for its email and calendaring needs.  Your uwplatt.edu Office 365 account is your official account at UW-Platteville.  All email and calendar invitations sent from university departments and personnel will go to this official account.

Can I purchase Microsoft Office and other software as a discount?

Current students may have access to free licenses for Office 2013 to install on personally-owned devices. For details, go to the UW-Platteville ITS Knowledgebase.

Using your NetID and password, you can also purchase software at a discounted price from the Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog.

Do distance learners have student representatives?

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville has a virtual Student Advisory Board that acts as an advocate for distance students. The Board advises the Distance Learning Center regarding student concerns, suggests new initiatives, and acts as a mentoring resource for new and prospective students.

How do I drop a course?

Before dropping a course, you need to consider how it will impact your academic and financial situation. Review the Course Drop/Withdrawal Information and talk with your advisor before proceeding.

How do I update my contact information?

Students can update much of their own contact information in PASS. If you need to change your official name please contact your advisor.

I'm ready to graduate. Do I have to do any paperwork?

Congratulations on being ready to graduate! Your next steps include:

1. Contacting your advisor to review specific graduation information for your program
2. Filing your graduation paperwork along with the graduation fee
3. Participating in the graduation weekend events

Can distance education students receive student discounts or utilize on-campus services?

If you live near Platteville and are interested, distance education students (graduate and undergraduate) may pay a segregated fee each semester to utilize select services. For details visit Campus Services for Distance Students.

What credits transfer?

Transfer credits will vary based on your online program. For more information regarding your program please select the degree you are seeking:


Still have questions?

Contact the Distance Learning Center at 800.362.5460 or disted@uwplatt.edu. Staff is available Sunday from 1 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., Monday – Thursday 6 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., and Friday 6 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

DLC: Online Reuseable No

Academic Calendars

Contact Us

Distance Learning Center
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818-3099

800.362.5460 (Toll Free)

Stay Connected


Footer Anchor