Complaint Process for Distance Education Students
This pane clears float!
Complaint procedures for student academic complaints are outlined below. Students who have questions about or need assistance with the complaint process may contact the Director of the Distance Learning Center at any time. The Director (or designee) will help the student resolve the complaint.
Student Academic Complaints Related to Course Grades, Conduct of Classes, or Other Course Matters:
- Address the complaint(s) with the course instructor.
- If you are not satisfied with the outcome of this communication, or if you would be uncomfortable confronting the instructor, take the complaint to your advisor.
- If a resolution is not achieved there, you may then bring the matter to the program coordinator.
- If the resolution is not achieved there, your next step is to address the matter with the Director of the Distance Learning Center.
Please feel free to contact the Director of the Distance Learning Center for support and/or guidance related to academic complaints.
Student Non-Academic Complaints/Grievances:
- Address the complaint(s) with the individual involved.
- If resolution is not achieved there, you may then bring the matter to the Director of the Distance Learning Center for assistance.
Students who have grievances related to university staff should first address those complaints directly with the individual. If the student is not satisfied, the grievance can then be taken to the appropriate supervisor of that department and, if resolution is not achieved there, the student may then go to the Director of the Distance Learning Center for assistance in resolving the matter.
Notification of UW System Complaint Process for Program Integrity
Pursuant to the United States Department of Education's Program Integrity Rule, an individual may file a complaint against any of University of Wisconsin System's public institutions alleging a violation of one or more of the following categories with the University of Wisconsin System Administration ("UWSA").
- Complaints that allege a violation of state consumer protection laws that include but are not limited to fraud and false advertising;
- Complaints that allege a violation of state law or rule relating to the licensure of postsecondary institutions; and/or
- Complaints relating to the quality of education or other State or accreditation requirements.
Under the UWSA policies and procedures, an individual should utilize the institution's internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to contacting the UWSA. If a resolution is not reached at the institution level, or if you believe that the nature of the complaint or its impact on the system as a whole warrants an immediate review by the University of Wisconsin System Administration, please contact the University of Wisconsin System Administration - Office of Academic, Faculty and Global Programs (AFGP), firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608.262.5862. You may also find additional information at (http://www.wisconsin.edu/vpacad/PIR)
Link to general Complaint Process for Program Integrity Issues
Link to Complaint Form
Contact Information for Outside State Complaints Relating to Distance Learning or Correspondence Education
Pursuant to the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning or correspondence education within that state. Students are encouraged to utilize the institution’s internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to filing a complaint with the state agency or agencies. The links below provide a list of contacts from each state in which a student may file a complaint.
http://www.sheeo.org/node/434 ...and search Agency Responses, by state.
This pane clears float!