|Course Number:||PHLSPHY 7530|
|Course Name:||Business Ethics (Online)|
|Course Description:||In this course, we consider ways in which ethical theories inform concrete deliberations in business. Taking prevailing normative orientations as our paradigms, we treat (1) the justification of moral principles, (2) their specification, and (3) their application in real-life contexts. In our attention to contemporary case-studies, in particular, we suggest ethics is not only good living but good business.|
Master of Science in Project Management
Master of Science in Integrated Supply Chain Management
Master of Science in Organizational Change Leadership
NOTE: The information below is representative of the course and is subject to change. The specific details of the course will be available in the Desire2Learn course instance for the course in which a student registers.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to
- Understand ethics as a specific area of applied philosophy and ethics.
- Identify and explain some of the significant ethical, legal issues that arise in business.
- Explain the differences between personal ethics and business ethics.
- Gain greater awareness of business-ethical diversity in different countries and cultures.
- Apply business ethical theories and concepts in case analysis and decision making.
- Improve your ability to think critically and carefully about business ethics, and to defend your own ethical views and decisions.
Unit 1: Four Philosophical Ethical Theories (Chapter 1 and 10 in the textbook)
Unit 2: Ethical Business Principles, Policies, and Practices Regarding Corporations and Employees in America and Abroad
Unit 3: Commor or Conflicting Interests and Rights for Companies, Citizens, and the Global Community; Issues of Privacy, Truth, and Information for Workers and Businesses.
Grading Criteria for Activities
|Online Group Discussions||24 points|
|Group Quizzes/Brief Answers (2)||11 points|
|Individual Paper||25 points|
|Group Project||25 points|
|Final Individual Exam||15 points|
|A+||98% - 100%|
|A||94% - 97%|
|A-||90% - 93%|
|B+||87% - 89%|
|B||84% - 86%|
|B-||80% - 83%|
|C+||77% - 79%|
|C||74% - 76%|
|C-||70% - 73%|
|D+||67% - 69%|
|D||64% - 66%|
|D-||60% - 63%|
|F||0% - 59%|