BS Criminal Justice Transferring Credits

You may have already satisfied some of the degree requirements through several means, including earning credit from other colleges and universities, vocational-technical colleges, experience in the U.S. military, and various subject examinations. The Distance Learning Center will evaluate your transcripts for eligible transfer credits.

University, Community, and Technical College Transfer Credit

  • In most cases, college credits earned from two-year or four-year regionally accredited colleges and universities will transfer, provided you earned grades of C or better and the credits are in areas currently taught at UW-Platteville.
  • An associate’s degree from any UW System institution or Illinois community college satisfies all UW-Platteville general education requirements, as does a four-year bachelor’s degree from any regionally accredited college or university.
  • An associate's degree from some community and technical colleges will also fulfill the general education requirements.
  • The number of credits transferrable from a Wisconsin technical college is generally limited. In some cases, however, it’s possible to transfer up to 30 credits in general education courses.  Below are courses that will transfer to UW-Platteville from WI Technical Colleges.
    • More credits may be accepted if UW-Platteville has an approved articulation agreement with the institution.  
  • Criminal Justice
  • Business Courses

Credit for Training Certificates and Life Experience in Criminal Justice

To be considered, submit a Credit for Life Experience form and certificate or transcript.

Credit for Military Experience

The UW-Platteville Registrar’s office evaluates all military education and training for degree-seeking students. If you are a veteran who has served in the regular armed forces for more than one year, you should submit a copy of your DD214 for review and evaluation. You should also request official transcripts and documentation if you have attended one or more military schools. Most formal courses offered by the regular Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy and Department of Defense starting with 1972 have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE). Credit may be allowed for specific courses in appropriate curricula as recommended by ACE.

Additional information is available from the School Veteran Official in the Registrar’s Office. Call 608.342.1321 for more information.

Credit for Training Programs

If the American Council on Education (ACE) has evaluated a corporate or professional training program in which you participated, you may receive some transfer credit. Only the ACE recommendations that are related directly to the criminal justice major will be considered for transfer. Normally, because training programs are so specific to the industry, such credits transfer as criminal justice electives. You must request an official transcript from ACE be sent directly to the Distance Learning Center to have your credits reviewed.

At this time we do not grant credit for police academy training.

Credit by Examinations

CLEP (College Level Examination Program), DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support), USAFI (United States Armed Forces Institute) subject examinations, and College Board Advanced Placement Examinations may be reviewed for possible credit.

See Required CLEP Exam Scores and Advanced Placement Credits.

The maximum number of credits applicable to the major by external or internal examinations is 30 credits. If you have already taken any of these examinations, you must provide an official transcript for each. After review by UW-Platteville, you will be informed regarding transfer credits accepted.

Test Out of UW-Platteville Courses

If you believe you have proficiency in a specific course, you may be able to test out of it. Test-out costs and procedures are determined by individual departments. A maximum of 6 credits for criminal justice courses may be earned by test-out.

No student may test out of a course that is a prerequisite, stated or implied, for an advanced course in the same subject for which credits have already been earned. Only students who are officially enrolled at UW-Platteville may participate in departmental test-out examinations. Please contact your academic advisor to discuss any questions regarding testing out of a course.

Educational partners

Students interested in learning more about the ICCOC, please visit:

Footer Anchor