BS Criminal Justice Degree Requirements
This pane clears float!
Overview of Credits
Total: 120 credits
General Education Requirements
Discuss your options with your academic advisor who can guide you in determining which courses from UW-Platteville or other institutions will meet your general education requirements.
You can complete your general education requirements by
- Taking distance courses through UW-Platteville (indicated as hyperlinks below)
- Taking distance courses through UW Colleges or UW Independent Learning
- Taking approved on-campus or online courses from UW-Platteville or other institutions
- Transferring approved credits from other institutions
A. Competency Requirements (11 credits total)
Communication (8 credits)
- ENGLISH 1130 Freshman Composition
- ENGLISH 1230 Freshman Composition
Speech Communication (2 credits)
Mathematics (3 credits)
At least one math course at or above MATH 1630 is required. Elementary Statistics (MATH 1830 or equivalent) is recommended.
B. Liberal Arts Requirements (36 credits total)
Fine Arts, Humanities, and Historical Perspective (12 credits)
You must earn at least three credits in each of these areas and a fourth course as explained below:
Fine Arts (3 credits)
Includes courses in art, music, and theater
MUSIC 1590 Music Appreciation
Humanities (3 credits)
Includes courses in literature, foreign language, philosophy, or women’s studies
Historical Perspective (3 credits)
Includes history courses
Fourth course (3 credits)
The remaining three credits must be a second course from one of the disciplines chosen for the first course in Fine Arts or Humanities or Historical Perspective.
For example, if you took a course in English literature for the humanities requirement, you could take another literature course as your fourth course, but a course in philosophy would not qualify since it wouldn't match the same discipline as your prior course for the humanities requirement.
C. Social Science (9 credits)
You must take at least three credits in each of two disciplines, including economics, political science, psychology, sociology, cultural geography, women's studies, and criminal justice. The remaining three credits must be a second course in one of the disciplines chosen.
- CRIMLJUS 1130 Introduction to Criminal Justice1
- ECONOMIC 2130 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECONOMIC 2230 Principles of Microeconomics
1 Required for the degree
D. Natural Science (9 credits)
You must take courses from at least two different disciplines including physics, biology, chemistry, geography, physical science, and geology, and each course must involve a laboratory experience.
E. International Education (3 credits)
F. Ethnic & Gender Studies (3 – 6 credits)
You must take at least three credits in ethnic studies and three credits in gender studies, or take one 3-credit course that satisfies both the ethnic and gender studies requirement.
BUSADMIN 3340 Management, Gender, & Race
(This course satisfies both the ethnic and gender requirements)
Criminal Justice Major Requirements
For the criminal justice major, students must earn a minimum of 36 credits (12 courses) as outlined below. All of these courses are offered online through UW-Platteville:
A. Core Requirement (15 credits)
- CRIMLJUS 1130 Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CRIMLJUS 2130 The Police Function
- CRIMLJUS 2230 Correctional Philosophy
- CRIMLJUS 4030 Criminal Law
- CRIMLJUS 4930 Criminal Justice Seminar (Each major must pass the departmental writing proficiency exam before taking CJ Seminar.)
B. Research Methods Requirement (3 credits)
CRIMLJUS 3900 Research Methods in Criminal Justice 2
2 This course has a prerequisite of CRIMLJUS 2130 and 2230 with a "C" or higher, MATH 1830 (Elementary Statistics), and junior standing or consent of the instructor.
C. Theory Requirement (3 credits)
CRIMLJUS 3630 Juvenile Justice
- CRIMLJUS 3430 Patterns of Criminal Justice & Delinquent Behavior
D. Electives Requirement (15 credits)
- CRIMLJUS 3130 Criminal Investigation 3
- CRIMLJUS 3330 Police Administration 3
- CRIMLJUS 4130 Police-Community Relations 3
- CRIMLJUS 4230 Community-Based Corrections 4
- CRIMLJUS 4330 Criminal Procedures and Evidence 5
3 These courses have a prerequisite of CRIMLJUS 2130 with a “C” or higher and junior standing or consent of the instructor.
4 This course has a prerequisite of CRIMLJUS 2230 with a “C” or higher and junior standing or consent of the instructor.
5 This course has a prerequisite of CCRIMLJUS 4030 with a “C” or higher and junior standing or consent of the instructor.
Business Administration Minor
The Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice online program is paired with a minor in business administration, with courses available in online and print-based formats. Students who want to earn a minor in business administration must complete four required courses and four business administration electives.
A. Required Courses
- ACCTING 2010 Financial Accounting
- BUSADMIN 1300 Global Business
- BUSADMIN 2330 Leadership and Management
- BUSADMIN 2630 Introduction to Marketing
B. Elective Courses
- BUSADMIN 3030 Human Resource Management
- BUSADMIN 3100 Compensation Management
- BUSADMIN 3120 Retailing
- BUSADMIN 3130 Legal Environment of Business
- BUSADMIN 3240 E-Commerce and E-Marketing in Today's World
- BUSADMIN 3340 Management, Gender, and Race
- BUSADMIN 3400 Personal Financial Planning
- BUSADMIN 3500 Employee Training and Development
- BUSADMIN 3530 Organizational Behavior
- BUSADMIN 3540 Quality Management
- BUSADMIN 3620 Corporate Finance
- BUSADMIN 3650 International Financial Management
- BUSADMIN 3720 International Marketing
- BUSADMIN 3740 Consumer Behavior
- BUSADMIN 4140 International Management
- BUSADMIN 4200 Employee Recruitment and Selection
- BUSADMIN 4330 Labor-Management Relations
- BUSADMIN 4630 Marketing Management
Electives may vary - up to 16 credits
Writing Proficiency Exam
GRADING CRITERIA FOR THE WRITING PROFICIENCY EXAM
- CONTENT: awareness of purpose, focus, logic, length, redundancy, does not address topic/thesis
- ORGANIZATION: logical order, coherence, unity
- DEVELOPMENT: inadequate explanation, ineffective examples, insufficient details
- PARAGRAPHING: too many, too few, inadequately developed, transitions needed
- SENTENCE STRUCTURE: fragments, comma splices, run-ons, awkwardness, wordy, lack of parallelism, lack of variety
- DICTION: wrong word, slang, cliche'
- EXACTNESS: missing words, vague words, needless repetition of words
- GRAMMAR: pronoun shift, tense shift, wrong verb, wrong pronoun, passive voice, subject/verb agreement, adjective/adverb error, pronoun/antecedent error
- SPELLING: wrong word ending, incorrect form of words, misspelled words
- MECHANICS: commas, capitals, apostrophes, semicolons, colons
To graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville with the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, you must:
- Earn a minimum of 120 semester credit-hours of college or university credits.
- Complete the general education requirements.
- Complete the major requirements established for the criminal justice major (minimum of 5 core courses and 7 additional courses). At least 18 of the required credits in the major must be completed under the direction of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville faculty.
- Earn a grade of "C" or better in each core course before going on to the next.
- Successfully pass the departmental writing proficiency exam and complete English 1130 and English 1230 with grades of "C" or better before taking upper division criminal justice courses (courses numbered between 3000-4999).
- Earn a minimum of 39 semester credit-hours in upper-division coursework (courses numbered between 3000-4999.)
- Earn a minimum of 32 semester credit-hours by direction and/or evaluation of UW-Platteville faculty.
- Complete 23 of the last 32 semester credit-hours by direction and/or evaluation of the UW-Platteville faculty.
- Maintain a 2.00 minimum cumulative grade point average on a scale of 4.0 for all coursework.
- Meet all financial obligations to the UW-Platteville.
This pane clears float!
Read the latest distance education news in the Pioneer Post.
Monday, April 27, 2015