Lunch with Your Professor
Lunch with Your Professor
Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch?
Make the most of your lunch hour! The 'Lunch with Your Professor' program is starting for the 2016 Spring semester. We will pick up the tab! No interviews, no papers, no exams, no course prerequisites. Becoming better acquainted with faculty through informal conversation and food is a great way to explore your educational and research opportunities, to identify or confirm your career direction, as well as build an educational relationship-an important factor when requesting a future letter of reference.
- Students who have educational relationships with faculty members outside the classroom are shown to be more successful in their collegiate experiences.
- You can learn more about opportunities in your field through professors’ research and experience.
- Professors who know you personally are better able to write recommendations for you and help you in your coursework.
- Students enrolled in large lecture classes may feel that professors only know them as a face or name, this program facilitates the social interactions between students and professors that will enable each to know the other on a more engaged level.
- This program is designed to encourage students and faculty to have substantive conversations outside of the classroom, engaging around topics of academic interests, future studies and general life experiences.
- ‘Lunch with Your Professor’ is open to current UW-Platteville, full-time, undergraduate students who can invite a professor to lunch without cost (up to $7.00/person), once per semester whether you dine alone with a professor or as part of a student group.
- Dining Services and the UW-Platteville Foundation will pay for the lunch, up to $7.00 per person, maximum of four persons. ***If the $7.00 limit is exceeded by an individual, the individual is responsible for the difference.***
- While it is encouraged meeting one-to-one over a meal to strengthen the student-professor relationship, groups of no more than three students may also invite a professor to share a meal. ***Each student must meet eligibility requirements.***
- A professor is defined as a UW-Platteville faculty member who is currently teaching at least one undergraduate level course and cannot be a graduate assistant.
- A professor may participate as often as they are asked and as long as their digestion holds up.
- ‘Lunch with the Professor’ is active during the fall and spring semesters, Monday-Friday, from the first day of classes to the last day of each semester.
- The requesting student must have a valid Pioneer Passport ID that must be shown to receive their voucher.
- Vouchers are to be used on-campus at any on-campus Dining Services venue. A list of all campus venues and their hours can be found at http://www3.uwplatt.edu/dining/hours . A voucher may only be used at one venue, presented to the cashier, and surrendered at the time of checkout. ***All participants must checkout together***
- Alcohol cannot be purchased.
How it Works:
- Invite a professor to lunch and confirm a date and time that you will meet. ***This date must be finalized by both parties before applying.***
- Complete the online request form at least seven days prior to your scheduled lunch. Once you submit the request, your request will be reviewed to verify student’s status, professor’s status, and previous participation.
- Online information required: full name of all students and professor participating, meal date confirmed with a professor.
- You and your professor will be notified via e-mail within 2-3 business days after applying. We will let you know whether the lunch has been approved and, if approved, when and where to pick up your voucher.
- Any questions can be directed to Rebecca Brown/Food Marketing Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or 608.342.7336.