Student Complaint Process
This pane clears float!
Complaint procedures for student academic and non-academic complaints, as well as for complaints related to other students’ behavior, are outlined below. Students who have questions about or need assistance with the complaint process may contact the Dean of Students at any time. The student and Dean (or designee) can schedule a meeting to discuss the complaint if the student desires. The Dean (or designee) will help the student in resolving the complaint. If unable to address the complaint immediately because of policy or procedural requirements, the Dean (or designee) will assist the student in directing the complaint to the appropriate university official or office better able to address the matter.
Student Academic Complaints Related to Course Grades, Conduct of Classes, or Other Course Matters:
- Address the complaint(s) with the course instructor.
- If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting, or if you would be uncomfortable confronting the instructor, take the complaint to the chair of the appropriate academic department.
- If a resolution is not achieved there, you may then bring the matter to the appropriate academic dean of the college.
- If the resolution is not achieved there, your next step would be to address the matter with the provost of the university.
Students with grievances about grades may appeal, in writing, to the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee after first having tried to resolve the issue by conferences with the teacher, department chair and college dean. The committee will hear both sides of the issue, examine the records, and advise the provost and all parties concerned as to a recommended solution.
Please feel free to contact the Dean of Students Office for support and/or guidance related to academic complaints.
Student Non-Academic Complaints/Grievances:
- Address the complaint(s) with the individual involved.
- If resolution is not achieved there, you may then bring the matter to the Dean of Students Office for assistance.
Students who have grievances related to university staff should first address those complaints directly with the individual. If the student is not satisfied, the grievance can then be taken to the appropriate supervisor of that department and, if resolution is not achieved there, the student may then go to the Dean of Students Office for assistance in resolving the matter.
Complaints Related to Behaviors of other Students:
For behavior that is criminal in nature or immediate threats, please contact Campus Police (134 Brigham Hall, 608-342-1584) and report the incident with one of the sworn officers.
For other complaints regarding behavior by students, the issue should be referred to the Dean of Students Office for assistance.
If you are worried about the well being of a student or staff member contact the Behavioral Review and Recommendation Team by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
This pane clears float!