Faculty/Staff FAQs

Clear Float

This pane clears float!

What services do you provide to students?

We offer individual counseling, couples counseling (both must be enrolled at UW-Platteville), group programming, and LGBT support group. 
There is no charge for a student to see a counselor.

How do I refer a student?

If you become concerned about a student and feel a referral to UCS is appropriate, be honest with that student and engage in help-seeking behavior.  Make sure they know where to call to make an appointment (608-342-1891).    Share your knowledge about the services offered (location, hours, names of staff). 
Due to confidentiality, UCS staff are not able to verify if a student engages in counseling.  Sometimes checking back in with the student helps to decrease the stigma of asking for help.

What are signs that indicate a student may be in distress?

All faculty and staff have been provided an orange folder from the Behavioral Review and Recommendation Team that can assist you in assessing the situation with a student and determining the best course of action.  UCS Staff are available for consultation purposes please call our office or stop by if you have a question. 

What if I am concerned about a student in a state of distress?

 Use the Listen, Acknowledge, Assess, and Refer section from the BRRT folder.

If you are concerned about a student and do not have the opportunity to talk directly to them or assist them in seeking services, you have three options:

• Utilize the online reporting form, located on the Dean of Students webpage
• Email concerns@uwplatt.edu
• Call the Dean of Students Office at 608.342.1854

What if I have a student in my office who needs to see someone immediately?

Staff at University Counseling Services are available for consultation at 608.342.1865, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. If a student is willing to seek counseling, you may walk them over to 220 Royce Hall. Possible responses to a crisis may also include contacting your supervisor for assistance. In an emergency situation contact University Police and be prepared to give them the following information: your name, the name of the student, a concise description of the current situation, kind of assistance needed, and your exact location. If a student appears dangerous or leaves your office abruptly, be prepared to give University Police an accurate description of the student and the direction they headed.

A student told me verbally/through email/in a paper that they were considering suicide. What do I do?

Possible responses include contacting your supervisor for assistance; contacting the Behavioral Review and Recommendation Team through utilization of the concerns reporting process  (concerns@uwplatt.edu); contacting staff at University Counseling Services for consultation at 608.342.1865; or contacting the Dean of Students office for consultation at 608.342.1854.

Do you provide any training for staff/faculty?

Safe Zone training for individuals interested in being allies to our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender students is available through UCS.
Department Directors or Program Managers can request topic-specific training from UCS staff by contacting the Director of UCS dalsingd@uwplatt.edu

What are other ways UCS can be helpful to staff/faculty? 

We offer written resources, can attend departmental meetings to update faculty and staff about our services, and offer programs and classroom presentations upon request on the following topics: 15 Ways to Get A’s, Alcohol Awareness, Alcohol and Sexual Assault, Adult Children of Alcoholics, Anger, Co-Dependency, Communication Skills, Date Rape/Sexual Assault, Death/Dealing with Loss, Depression, Eating Disorders, Working with LGBT students, Homesickness, Positive Attitude, Procrastination, Relationships, Self-Confidence, Sleep Tips, Stress Management, Study Skills, Suicidal Behavior, Test Preparation/Anxiety, Time Management, and Wellness.

What if I need to speak to a counselor about a personal issue?  

Counseling and treatment are available for all UW-Platteville faculty and staff through the Employee Assistance Program. Contact the UW-Platteville EAP coordinator, Richard Volez, at 608.342.1530 or contact the UW-Platteville Human Resources Department 608.341.1176.

Clear Float

This pane clears float!

Counseling: Contact Information

Contact Information

220 Royce Hall
1 University Plaza
Platteville WI 53818

Appointments 608-342-1891
Information 608-342-1865 dalsingd@uwplatt.edu
Fax 608-342-1863
Hours 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mon. Tues. Fri.
8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. Wed. Thurs.

After Hours Crisis
Unified Community Services 800-362-5717

Call 911 in case of Emergency
(9-911 if using campus telephone)

Campus Police 608-342-1584
Suicide Crisis Line 800-784-2433
TREVOR (LGBT) Helpline 866-488-7386
Family/Partner Abuse Helpline
608-348-3838 or 1-800-924-2624
Vet Center Combat Call Center 877-WAR-VETS
Veterans Crisis Line 800-273-8255

Please be advised that e-mail is not considered a secure form of communication; therefore confidentiality cannot be guaranteed if you forward information of an urgent nature. UCS staff only monitor and respond to e-mail during regular office hours.

Footer Anchor