Criminal Background Check FAQs
What if I don’t have a credit card?
If you do not have a credit card, you may use one of the following:
- debit card with Visa or MasterCard capabilities
- money order
- rechargeable Visa or MasterCard that may be purchased at many local stores
How long does it take to get the results? Why is it taking so long to get my results back?
Background check results may take anywhere from a day to several weeks to be completed. Some things that may delay the results include:
- You have a criminal record.
- You have lived in more than one state. The background check investigates all known addresses where you have lived.
- You have submitted a request with incorrect information. If this is the situation, Certified Background will send you an email asking you to verify the information in question. Listed below are a few common examples.
- Transposing a number in your social security number
- Using a shortened version of your birth name (ex. Maddie vs Madeline)
- Putting the wrong date for your date of birth
Do I need to bring in my results from Certified Background to the Clinical Experiences Office?
No. Clinical Experiences has access to your results online.
Can I use the results of a background check from a previous job?
You may bring in a copy of background check results from a job IF it was done through UWP’s Human Resource Department for a campus job. Results obtained through any other employer are not acceptable.
How often do I need to apply for a background check?
Back ground check results are good for two years from the date the request was submitted. When requesting a re-check on Certified Background, use code UC40re to get the discounted rate.
For questions regarding background checks for licensing, go to the DPI website.