- An electrochemical cell in which a spontaneous reaction occurs. Such a cell can be used to generate electricity. Also called voltaic cell.
- A process in which iron is electrolytically coated with zinc to slow down corrosion.
- High energy radiation emitted during radioactive decay.
- A state of matter in which the distance between particles changes as necessary so that the matter uniformly occupies its container.
- A proportionality constant between the product of the pressure and volume of a gas and the product of the number of moles and temperature of the gas.
- A device used to measure the amount of radioactivity present.
- The collection of sequences of bases in DNA that code for the sequence of amino acids used to form proteins.
- One of two or more compounds that have the same chemical composition but differ in the spatial arrangements of the atoms.
- A material that is solid in physical form, but has the disorder more typical of a liquid.
- The statement that the rate of effusion of a gas is inversely proportional to the square root of the molar mass of the gas.
- One thousandth of a kilogram.
- A grating is a component of the spectrophotometer which disperses white light inot a continuos spectrum of colors. The angle of the grating with respect to the incident light determines the wavelength of light which will ultimately pass through the sample solution.
- Those elements that comprise a single column of the periodic table.
Copyright © 1993, 1995-1996 JCE Software. All rights reserved. Used with permission.