If the bottom layer contains the solute, follow these steps after draining the bottom layer:
- Rather than draining the top layer through the stopcock, pour this layer out through the mouth of the funnel into a beaker or flask.
Video: Pour out the top phase ( 1.75 M )
- Pour the bottom layer back into the separatory funnel.
- Extract the bottom layer solution two more times, following the same procedure as for the first extraction.
- Combine the bottom layers.
- Discard the top layers, but be certain that the solute was in the bottom layers before disposing of any solutions.
Copyright © 1995-1996 NT Curriculum Project, UW-Madison