Adjusting the chart recorder
If the chromatogram looks suspicious or no chromatogram is
recorded, the chart recorder's setting may need adjustment. Several
options for adjusting the settings are given below.
1. If no chromatogram is recorded, first make sure that the
power to the chart recorder is on.
2. Check that the cap has been removed from the pen.
3. Make sure that the standby/record switch is in the "record"
position while the experiment is being performed.
4. If the peaks are too large or too small, adjust the full
scale deflection. The higher the setting, the smaller the peaks
will be and vice versa.
5. If the peaks are too close together or too spread out,
adjust the tracking speed. A higher setting will cause the paper
to scroll through the recorder faster, causing the peaks to be farther apart.
6. If the paper does not seem to be scrolling through the
recorder, check the tracking units. The recorder has two settings,
cm/min and cm/hr. When the tracking speed is set to 2, for example,
the tracking units switch dictates whether 2 cm of paper scroll
through the recorder every minute or every hour. Tracking units
of cm/hr move the paper very slowly, and units of cm/min are more
Copyright © 1995-1996 NT Curriculum Project, UW-Madison