School of Business: Excel Competency Exam
This pane clears float!
About the Exam:
The Microsoft Excel Certification exam covers basic Excel functions. Upon successful completion of the exam, one will be Microsoft Certified in Excel 2010. The exam may be taken muliple times in order to receive a passing score.
- The certification will be noted on one’s transcript as a milestone.
- Each person passing the exam will receive a certificate.
- The certification from Microsoft may be noted on one’s resume.
Who should Take the Exam:
Any new freshmen, transfer students, and students electing the Fall 2013 or Fall 2014 catalog majoring in Business Administration or Accounting are required to fulfill the Excel Competency requirement. Students may fulfill this requirement by passing the Microsoft Certification Exam for Excel 2010, OR by taking COSC 1830, Microcomputer Applications.
Excel competency or its equivalent of COSC 1830 is a prerequisite to the following courses:
- BUSADMIN 2340 Data Analysis
- ACCTING 3230 Cost Accounting
- ACCTING 3030 Accounting Information Systems
The school recommends you take the exam prior to the second semester of your sophomore year.
Topics Covered in the Exam:
The exam covers basic functions in Excel. Click here for a complete list of exam outcomes. To further prepare for the exam check out the links under Study Tutorials on the right side of this page.
- $45 for initial exam
- $15 for one retake
- $45 for each test taken 3 or more times
Payment accepted by credit or debit card only.
Test Dates and Times:
- Monday, April 14, 2014 – 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 24, 2014 – 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 8, 2014 – 4:00 p.m.
All exams will be given at UW-Platteville, Ullrich 110. (NOTE: Additional dates and times will be added each semester.)
Please be sure to complete the campus AND Certiport registrations steps. Both steps must be completed in order to log in the day of the exam.
Click on the date on which you wish to take the exam and complete the online form as prompted. NOTE: Campus registration is required each time you take the exam.
NOTE: Registration at Certiport only needs to be completed one time. If you retake the exam, you will need to complete the campus registration again.
Read the instructions below and then click on Certiport to complete the registration process.
- At the Certiport home page, click on the green Register button at the top right-hand corner.
- Complete the general registration process by entering the required information on each screen. We suggest using your UW-Platteville username as the password.
- The final step in the registration process asks you to “Choose a Purpose” for registering at certiport.com. Please select option: “To prepare to take an exam or to take an exam.” This action will register you as a “Test Candidate” and display a summary screen.
- Click Finish, and your personalized Test Candidate page will appear.
- Make sure that you have completed both Campus and Certiport registrations.
- Please be sure to bring a photo ID (Driver’s license or UW-Platteville Student ID card) with you the day of your exam.
- Please arrive 15-30 minutes prior to start of exam.
- NO LATE ARRIVALS WILL BE ALLOWED ONCE EXAM BEGINS.
This pane clears float!
- Microsoft Office Specialist, Excel 2010
- Excel Study Guide
Instuctional Center of Educational Technologies (ICET)
- In search box type Excel 2010 (be sure to use 2010 version of Excel)
- Select Excel Intro or Excel Intermediate
- Review any or all topics