This pane clears float!
The broad-field science major requires that students complete coursework in four core sciences (biology, chemistry, earth and space science, physics) plus mathematics. Students are also required to complete either concentrations (additional coursework) in two or a minor or major in one of the science disciplines. The broad-field science major requires that a student complete 60 total credits of science, which means that some students will take science electives beyond the core curriculum plus concentrations.
Checklist for the Major
NOTE: Even if choosing to complete a minor, you MUST complete a two-semester core sequence in at least TWO science areas.
- BIOL 1150 General Biology (5 cr) (NOT suitable for a concentration in Biology) OR
- BIOL 1650 Unity of Life (5 cr) and BIOL 1750 Diversity of Life (5 cr)
- CHEM 1050 General Chemistry (5 cr) OR CHEM 1450 Chemistry for Engineers (5 cr) (NOT suitable for a concentration in Chemistry) OR
- CHEM 1140 General Chemistry I (4 cr) and CHEM 1240 General Chemistry II (4cr)
Earth and Space Science - Astronomy Core
- PHSC 1310 Astronomy Lab (1 cr) and PHSC 1340 Astronomy (4 cr)
Earth and Space Science - Geoscience Core
- GEOG 1040 Planet Earth (4 cr) (NOT suitable for a concentration in Earth and Space Science) OR
- GEOG 1240 Physical Geography: Weather and Climate (4 cr) and either GEOL 1140 Physical Geology (4 cr) OR GEOG 1140 Physical Geography: Global Landforms (4 cr)
- PHYS 1050 Principles of Physics (5 cr) (NOT suitable for a concentration in Physics) OR
- PHYS 1350 Introductory Physics I (5 cr) and PHYS 1450 Introductory Physics II (5cr) (NOT suitable for a concentration in Physics) OR
- PHYS 2240 General Physics I (4 cr) and PHYS 2340 General Physics II (4 cr)
- Concentrations in two sciences OR
- Minor or major in one science plus a two-semester core option in one other science
- 60 total science credits (may necessitate electives beyond the core + concentrations)
- MATH 2450 Precaclulus (5 cr) OR MATH 2530 Trigonometry (3 cr) AND
- MATH 1830 Statistics (3 cr) OR MATH 2640 Calculus I (4 cr) (A physics concentration requires Calculus I)
General Education Courses
To graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, all students must complete a set of General Education requirements. Students can choose from a wide selection of courses to satisfy these requirements, as outlined in the university's General Education webpage.
This pane clears float!