This section provides an overview of UWP registrationpolicies. More details and specific dates for registration and fee payment are available in each semester's class schedule, available at the Registrar's Office. Specific courses offered each term are also listed on the class schedule. Students not on campus may view the list of upcoming course offerings on the UWP home page (

Advance Registration and Orientation for New Freshmen

Registration for new freshmen takes place on the UW-Platteville campus during the summer. Parents are strongly encouraged to become involved also. Because we recognize that the usual procedure of throwing a new student into a hectic fall registration can be unsettling and a bit bewildering, we offer our freshmen a slower-paced summer registration.

We at UW-Platteville want you to be a success as a student. For this very basic reason, we have established a special registration program for you and your parents. Each registration session is specifically designed to provide you with a solid foundation concerning the needs of students and parents. Remember, the more you know, the better chance of success you will have in making a smooth transition from your current setting to student life at UW-Platteville. The bottom line is that we want you and your parents to take full advantage of these registration events.

We strongly urge incoming freshmen to take part in the new student orientations which take place every semester just before the beginning of classes. These special activities provide all new students with an opportunity to become acquainted with and to feel part of UW-Platteville's campus and the local community. The activities are both social and informative. They include tours of the campus, assistance with class scheduling and picking up textbooks, visits with college deans and faculty, small group discussions, and at least one all-student social event which brings together newcomers and returning students.

Registration for Continuing and Transfer Students

Continuing and transfer students should check with the Registrar's Office or look in the upcoming semester's class schedule to determine registration and academic advising dates.

Each student must meet with an assigned academic advisor before registering. Students may also wish to visit the department chair of their major, to see what general education, major, or minor requirements they have left to meet. Advising reports will be distributed to advisors before advance registration begins. Students must fill out a worksheet listing their desired course schedule and have that schedule signed by their advisors.

Students are assigned an advance registration appointment based upon number of credits earned: those with the most credits earned (seniors) register first, followed by juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. Courses fill on a first-come basis; therefore, students are encouraged to take advantage of advance registration.

Students who miss advance registration may still register during regular or late registration. Dates for these registration periods are also listed in each semester's class bulletin.

Policies Affecting Student Registration

Course Numbering

Students should look at a course's number to determine the general difficulty level of the course, and whether it will count towards their degree:

0000-0990 No credit toward graduation
1000-2990 Credit - lower level undergraduate
3000-4990 Credit - upper level undergraduate
5000-7990 Graduate level

Academic Load

Students who enroll for 12 or more credits during a semester are classified as full-time students; students who enroll for 11 or fewer credits are classified as part-time students. The normal load for full-time students is 15-16 credits per semester, but students on academic probation may carry no more than 14 credits without special permission. To remain eligible for scholarships and financial aid, students must remain classified full-time.

Students in good standing except those with less than a 2.00 GPA, who wish to enroll for an overload of more than 18 credits or students on academic probation who wish to enroll for more than 14 credits, must obtain permission from their advisor. A student carrying credit in extension or by correspondence, either with this or another university, must include these credits in computing total load. The registrar as an ex-officio member of the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee has been delegated the responsibility for granting permission for overloads and exception to established standards. Appeals may be made to the committee or the vice chancellor.

In granting permission for overloads, the committee normally follows these guidelines:

Cumulative GPACredits
Less than 2.00 (on academic probation) 14
Less than 2.00 (in good standing) 15
2.00-2.74 18
2.75-3.24 19
3.25-3.74 20
3.75-4.00 22

No credit will be given for unapproved overloads. Students who enroll for an overload without the permission of the registrar will be required to drop sufficient courses and/or credits to comply with the prescribed load limit. If a student refuses to drop courses as prescribed, the registrar and the vice chancellor will select the courses to be removed from the record.

Taking Courses Pass-Fail

Students who desire to take courses on a pass-fail basis must apply at a time and place specified by the registrar at the beginning of each semester. Some courses are offered only on a pass-fail basis. Courses taken on a pass-fail basis cannot be used to fulfill general requirements or major requirements. Students may enroll for only one course per semester on a pass-fail basis.

Course Changes

All course changes must be cleared officially with the registrar; otherwise, grades of F will be recorded. Normally students are not permitted to enter courses after the fifth day of classes of any term.

Auditing Courses

A grade of satisfactory must be earned in any course audited in order to have such audit appear on the student's transcript. If the grade is unsatisfactory, the audited course shall not appear on the transcript.

Tuition and Fee Policies

This section provides the tuition and fee policies that were in effect at the time this book went to press. For up-to-date information, contact the Cashier’s Office at 608-342-1211 or check the Cashier’s Office web site

The act of registering for courses at UW-Platteville creates a financial obligation to pay the tuition and fees associated with those courses according to the tuition and fees schedule established annually by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents.The payment due dates are provided with the initial billing. Payment of all charges is the responsibility of the student. It is the responsibility of the student to pursue money from financial aid, scholarships, loans, or other non-personal sources. These are not considered payments until the money is received and posted to the student's account. Students who fail to cancel their registration or withdraw from courses in compliance with university policies and procedures will be charged even if they do not attend class. Nonattendance does not constitute withdrawal.

Payment Policy

UW-Platteville bills all students for each semester approximately 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. Financial aid, scholarships and educational loans will not be reflected on the bill. The initial payment is due approximately 5 days after the beginning of each semester. To avoid finance charges, accounts must be paid in full by the due date on the initial bill.

A partial payment is available for fall and spring semesters to students with a good credit history. (There is no partial payment plan available for summer school and winterim.) In order to qualify for the partial payment plan a copy of the Installment Credit Agreement form must be on file in the Cashier's Office. A new Installment Credit Agreement form is required for each semester. Students with a demonstrated poor payment history may be denied access to the partial payment plan. The partial payment plan consists of an initial payment of 33 1/3% of all charges billed on the initial bill, due approximately 5 days after the beginning of each semester and two additional installments of 33 1/3% due approximately the fifth and ninth week of each semester. Exact due dates are provided with each initial billing statement. A finance charge of 1% per month on the unpaid balance (annual percentage rate of 12%) will be assessed on any balance remaining after the initial billing due date. Registered students who do not receive a bill should contact the Cashier’s Office. Failure to receive a bill will not excuse students from payment deadlines.

Payment in full of all tuition and fees prior to the initial billing due date will avoid finance charges. (This date is also provided with each initial billing statement.) Unpaid balances incur finance charges as detailed in the Installment Credit Agreement, a copy of which is included with the initial billing. Registration for future semesters will not be permitted unless the account balance is zero. Accounts in default will be forwarded for private collection action. Students will be responsible for all collection costs on amounts not paid when due including but not limited to, attorney fees and collection agency fees.

If your bill will be paid by a third party (i.e. VA, DVR, Youth Options) a written authorization from the third party must be provided to the Cashier's Office before the initial billing due date or the account will be considered delinquent. The authorization must include who will be paying, the amount they will be paying, the name and ID number of the student they are paying for and when the payment will be made.

Payments are posted to the student's account as of the date of receipt. Post-dated checks will be returned to the sender and do not qualify as payment. All checks should be made payable to UW-Platteville and should include the student's ID number. The payment must be in the Cashier's Office on or before the due date to avoid service charges. UW-Platteville charges $20.00 for all checks returned by the bank for insufficient funds (NSF).

Excess Credit Policy

Starting in the fall of 2004, Wisconsin resident undergraduate students who have earned 165 credits (or 30 credits more than required for their degree programs, whichever is greater) are charged a surcharge, equal to 100 percent of the regular resident tuition, on credits beyond that level.

This policy, created by the Board of Regents, views a college degree from the perspective of a taxpayer. There are many legitimate reasons why students might accumulate "excessive" credits. This new policy will not prevent students from pursuing their goals, but it will be at a cost that is less subsidized by Wisconcin taxpayers. This is not a policy that UWP can decide whether ot not to implement. This is a mandate.

The policy covers all Wisconsin resident undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree, including students pursuing a double major. Minnesota residents and non-residents, graduate, post-baccalaureate, non-degree and special students are not affected.

The policy applies to credits earned at UW System campuses and WTCS (Wisconsin Technical College System) transfer credits accepted toward a degree. Retroactive, AP, military and other college transfer credits do not count toward the total.

The surcharge will be applied to students in the semester following the one in which they reach the earned credit likit. The limit is 165 credits or 30 credits more than required for a degree program, whichever is greater.

The policy became effective in fall 2004, and it applies to all Wisconsin resident students enrolled who meet the above criteria. It is not phased in.

The surcharge adds 100 percent to the Wisconsin resident tuition routinely chanrged, and it is charged for all credits over the credit limit.

A message will appear on students' advising reports when they reach 130 earned credits. Each semester the Registrar's Office will notify students who have reached a predetermined number of earned credits that they are accumulating credits at a rate that might result in them being charged the surcharge. Students will have the opportunity to discuss the issue with the University Registrar. Each term, students who have earned 165 credits, or 30 credits more than required for their programs will have an opportunity to appeal to the Admission and Acedemic Appeal's Committee. In reality, the additional tuition will be charged to very few students.

Late Fee (Administrative Assessment Fee)

Students who have not paid at least 33 1/3% of their total initial bill by the initial billing due date of the fall and spring semester will be assessed a $30.00 late fee. A $15.00 late fee will be assessed if 100% of the summer charges are not paid by the end of the second week of the regular summer sessioin or the first day of winterim classes.

Who Gets The Bill?

All initial bills go to the student's home address. All other bills go to the student's local address. If the student wants the bill to go to another address, a Change of Billing Address form must be submitted to the Cashier's Office.

Refund Policy

Tuition and fees may be refunded upon official withdrawl from the university according to the current refund schedule provided all official withdrawl forms are completed. The current refund schedule is:

Room and board charges for students who voluntarily withdraw from the university may be adjusted in accordance with the meal and board contracts. Further information about these contracts is available from the Meal Access Office 608-342-1404 or the Housing Office 608-342-1845.

If a student receives any type of federal financial aid (including Stafford loans and/or PLUS loans) and they withdraw from the university or reduce their credit load, their financial aid eligibility will be re-calculated and a percentage of the aid may be considered unearned and may have to be returned to the funding source. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions about this policy 608-342-1836.

For any other billing questions visit the Cashier's Office web site or call 608-342-1211 or e-mail

Dropping Courses

Students may drop a course prior to its beginning or at the drop-add session at the start of each semester without the instructor's signature.

Students who drop a course during the period from after the tenth instructional day of the term through the end of the eighth week of that term will be charged a drop fee.

If a student registered in a course withdraws from that course in the first two weeks of class in that semester, that course shall not appear on the student's grade printout for that semester and hence will not be recorded on the student's transcript.

If a student registered in a course withdraws from that course any time after the second week of class, but prior to the end of the eighth week of classes, a notation of withdrawn will appear on the student's grade printout and hence on the student's transcript.

Students may withdraw from the university or drop a course through the eighth week of the term. Students withdrawing at a later date are given the grade F in all courses; only in extraordinary circumstances and with the consent of the instructor and the dean of the college may students withdraw at a later date and receive a grade other than F. Students receiving educational entitlement from the Veterans Administration must report to the VA if they fail or withdraw from all courses after mid-term when enrolled in two or more unit subjects.

Seniors Enrolled in Graduate Courses

Seniors are eligible to take graduate courses numbered 5000-6990 for graduate credit, if:

  1. they are in their last semester as an undergraduate;
  2. they are eligible for admission to the graduate program in full standing;
  3. their undergraduate grade point average is 2.75 or higher;
  4. they limit their total credit loads to a maximum of 15 credits including graduate courses, and a majority of the credits are for undergraduate courses; and
  5. they secure the approval of the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Courses taken for graduate credit will not be used to fulfill requirements for the baccalaureate degree.

Anyone taking graduate courses will be charged graduate fees for those courses. Anyone taking undergraduate courses will be charged undergraduate fees for those courses. Graduate classes do not count toward the undergraduate plateau (12-18 credits) and undergraduate classes do not count toward the graduate plateau (9-12 credits).