You must follow the rules, regulations, and academic requirements of both the university and the college in which you enroll as described in the catalog of initial enrollment. At a later time, however, you may elect to follow the rules, regulations, and academic requirements specified in subsequent catalogs. If your progress toward a degree is interrupted by withdrawing from the university and you reenroll at a later date, you must abide by the catalog in effect at the time you re-enroll.

Class Attendance

At UW-Platteville we take the question of class attendance very seriously, for education in our view is much more than a matter of tests, readings, examinations, and papers. Through lectures and discussions the subject of a particular course is investigated in depth and explored in its many ramifications; through interaction in the classroom (and outside of it) the many aspects of a given course come together and are synthesized into a coherent whole. Such an educational experience demands reciprocal commitments from faculty to students and from students to faculty.

The administration and the faculty assume students will attend classes regularly, and teachers are expected to keep records of attendance in their classes. Those instructors who set limits on unexcused absences will inform students of their absence policies in writing and orally at the beginning of the semester. Students are responsible for all work missed through unexcused absence. Instructors are not obligated to seek out or counsel students concerning absenteeism or to allow such students any special consideration.

When students wish to participate in field trips or other extracurricular or cocurricular activities, prior approval must be obtained from the instructors of classes that will be missed. Students should contact the instructors when they return to classes, and of course, they are expected to make up any missed work.

A student who is absent from class should notify instructots as soon as possible (either by phone, e-mail or in person). Notifying instructors and arranging make-up work is the responsibility of the student. If contact with instructors cannot be made directly, the student should call the academic department involved. This information is available in your Campus Directory.

If your absence is medical related and you have been receiving treatment from the Student Health Services, they may be able to be of assistance to you. They can be reached at 608-342-1891.

In serious situations where the student is incapacitated and temporarily unable to contact instructors, family members may contact the Office of Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs at 608-342-1854 for assistance with these matters. The Office of Student Affairs would then provide notification (not verification) of the absence to the instructors involved. However, arrangements for make-up work, make-up exams, etc. are the responsibility of the student.

NOTE: Neither Student Health Services nor the Office of Student Affairs provides excuses for absences from class.

If students have questions or need consultation regarding specific situations, they are encoraged to contact their instructor or the academic department involved.


The grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credits attempted at UW-Platteville. At the midpoint of each semester the faculty report to the registrar all students doing unsatisfactory ("D" or "F") work. Students with low grades receive low-grade reports. Students receiving reports are urged to meet with the faculty member(s) involved and their advisors immediately thereafter. At the end of each semester, grade reports are mailed to students at their permanent addresses.

Sometimes it is appropriate, because of student illness or other unusual circumstances, to give a grade of Incomplete (I). After a student receives an Incomplete (I), it is the student's responsibility to complete all work and assignments necessary to complete the class requirements prior to the ninth week of the ensuing semester. Unless a grade of Incomplete is changed to some other grade before the end of the ninth week of the ensuing semester, the Incomplete is changed to an "F."

Grading mistakes should be rectified before the end of the ninth week of the ensuing semester. It is the student's responsibility to call the instructor's attention to any error in grading as soon as possible after grades are reported. It is the instructor's responsibility to correct grading errors.

The cumulative grade point average does not include credits and grade points earned at other colleges or universities. When students repeat courses, only the most recent grade is counted in figuring the grade point average. Students repeating courses must secure a Repeat Card at the time of registration.

Failing grades and deficiencies in grade point averages may be removed only by taking work in residence at UW-Platteville.

Scholastic Honors

The word "honors" has two different meanings at UW-Platteville. On the one hand, it refers to scholastic honors, which is the recognition given by the university to students who have achieved high grade point averages. On the other hand, it refers to a specific honors program open only to outstanding students. This section discusses general scholastic honors only; the honors program is discussed under "Special Academic Programs".

Recognition for scholastic honors may be given at various times during a student's academic program by inclusion on the Chancellor's and Dean's Honor Rolls.

To qualify for Chancellor's or Dean's Honors, students must complete at least 12 credits during the semester and meet the following grade point average requirements:

Chancellor's Honors 4.00 GPA

Dean's Honors, by college:

At commencement, students who have earned 48 or more credits at UW-Platteville and have earned high cumulative grade point averages during their undergraduate years, graduate in two categories: honors (3.50-3.74), and high honors (3.75-4.00) with the designations of magna cum laude (honors) and summa cum laude (high honors).

Declaring/Changing Majors

Declaring a Major

Students may declare an intended major immediately upon entering the university, or remain undecided. In either case, they will be assigned an advisor. When students choose a major, they should report to the Registrar's Office to receive instructions and complete a change of major form (on which they change from "deciding" to a specific major). They will then be assigned a new advisor in their declared field of study.

Changing Majors

Students wishing to change majors and/or colleges should contact the Registrar's Office for complete instructions and a change of major form. Upon changing majors, students will be assigned a new academic advisor and encouraged to request a major checksheet showing the new requirements they must fulfill. Students who change majors and wish to have their record adjusted under academic bankruptcy guidelines should read the following section.

Academic Bankruptcy

Students who transfer from one program to another at UW-Platteville may be granted the option to have their prior academic record adjusted as follows if they have a grade point average of 2.00 or higher.

  1. Credits in courses in which a grade of "D" or higher was earned will be counted toward graduation but not necessarily toward a major or minor.
  2. All previous work shall remain on the official record, but the grades will not be used to calculate the cumulative grade point average. The grade point average will be calculated on the basis of grades earned after declaration of academic bankruptcy.
  3. This option may be used only once in a student's career.
  4. In order to graduate after electing this option, a student must complete at least 32 credits and earn a 2.00 grade point average.

Note: Students who have less than 2.00 may also qualify, but the credits in which a "D" was earned will not count toward graduation.

Students who wish to file academic bankruptcy must do so within one semester of the change of major. Students who declare academic bankruptcy are not eligible to pursue a major in the original program without express permission from the dean of that college, and the student's cumulative grade point average will be re-calculated. Students should contact the Registrar's Office for specific instructions.

Double Majors

The student will normally meet graduation requirements for a degree in one of the major curricula. It is permissible for a student to be granted a bachelor's degree with two majors if the complete requirements of both major curricula are satisfied at the same time.

No more than one diploma or degree will be granted to the same student at one commencement. In the event that a student has completed the requirements for two different degrees, such as a B.A. and a B.S., the student will be required to declare one major as the degree major in order to determine which degree will be awarded.


Official transcripts of a student's records may be obtained by written request to the registrar. There is a $3 fee per transcript requested. Requests for information concerning activities and scholastic records of students or former students of UW-Platteville will not be released without authorization by the person whose record is involved. Exceptions are made only as prescribed in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act-1974.

Simultaneous Enrollment at Another Institution

All off-campus courses offered by other accredited colleges and universities will be accepted by UW-Platteville provided a grade of "C" or higher is earned and they are approved by the department housing the major. UW-Platteville does not offer correspondence courses, but UW-Extension does. Permission must be obtained from the registrar prior to registering for correspondence work.

Students enrolling in off-campus or correspondence courses are responsible for making certain such courses meet the requirements of the curriculum in which they are enrolled. In case of doubt, students should contact the registrar, academic advisor, or the chairperson of the department in which they intend to major.

Academic Probation and Suspension

Students whose academic records do not meet the minimum achievement standards of the university are placed on academic probation or suspension.

The minimum acceptable standards for retention are as follows:

  1. First semester students (new freshmen only)
    1. Grade point average (GPA) less than 1.60: First Probation
    2. GPA less than 0.75: Dismissal
  2. Second semester students
    1. Cumulative GPA less than 1.80: First Probation - if in good standing the previous semester; Final Probation - if on first probation the previous semester
    2. Semester GPA less than 1.00: Dismissal
  3. Third semester students
    1. Cumulative GPA less than 1.80: First Probation - if in good standing the previous semester; Final Probation - if on first probation the previous semester; Dismissal - if on final probation the previous semester
    2. Semester GPA less than 1.00: Dismissal
  4. Fourth (and up) semester students
    1. Cumulative GPA less than 2.00: First Probation - if in good standing the previous semester; Final Probation - if on first probation the previous semester; Dismissal - if on final probation the previous semester
    2. Semester GPA less than 1.00: Dismissal

Students on probation will not be allowed more than two consecutive semesters to regain acceptable academic standing. If during the probationary period, students do not meet the minimum acceptable standards defined above, they will be suspended.

The Veterans Administration (VA) requires that students receiving educational entitlement from the VA must be reported to the VA if they continue in school for a second probationary semester. Educational entitlement may be terminated by the VA until such students have been counseled by VA personnel.

Suspension for One Semester:

Students are suspended (dismissed) from the university for one semester under the following conditions.

  1. First semester freshmen achieving grade point averages of 0.74 or lower at the end of the semester.
  2. Any other student earning a semester grade point average of 0.99 or lower at the end of a semester.
  3. Second semester freshmen and first semester sophomores on final probation who earn cumulative grade point averages of 1.79 or lower at the end of a semester.

All other students on final probation who earn a semester grade point average of 2.00 or higher and have a cumulative grade point average of 1.99 or lower at the end of a semester will remain on final probation.

Suspension for Two Years:

Students who have been suspended, readmitted or reinstated, and again fail to earn the required grade point average, are not eligible to apply for readmission until a period of two years has elapsed.

Reinstatement to Good Standing:

Students achieving cumulative grade point averages of 2.00 or higher are reinstated to good standing.

Students are, of course, expected to make diligent progress in the pursuit of a degree. The standards outlined in the Financial Aid section of this bulletin are the stipulated guidelines for satisfactory academic progress for UW-Platteville students.

Student Grievances and Discipline

In any community, including that of scholars and professors, differences of opinion and misunderstandings arise, and provisions must be made for resolution of grievances.

Concerning any decision, there is, with few exceptions, a higher authority to whom appeal may be made should the individual feel that the decision is unjust. The route to follow in seeking redress of a grievance will depend upon the type of grievance and the area of the university concerned. This section will discuss a few of those authorities.

Admission and Academic Appeals Committee

Students with admission, readmission, or reinstatement difficulties may appeal in writing to the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee. If the written appeal is denied, personal appeals may be made by appointment through the Registrar's Office. The committee will study the case and advise the dean of admission and enrollment management, registrar, or provost as to the proper solutions.

Students with grievances about grades may appeal, in writing, to the Admission and Academic Appeals Committee after first having tried to resolve the issue by conferences with the teacher, department chairperson, or college dean. The committee will hear both sides of the issue, examine the records, and advise the provost and all parties concerned as to a recommended disposition.

Student Discipline

The assistant chancellor for student affairs handles matters involving students' rights and responsibilities. The assistant chancellor's responsibility regarding discipline is twofold: assuring that students are treated fairly, and seeing that students meet university policies and regulations. The assistant chancellor is guided in this responsibility by Chapters 17 and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code and by those regulations specific to UW-Platteville. For detils see "Policies Governing Student Life" by going to, clicking on campus resources A-Z, select letter "P", then select "Policies Governing Student Life."

The university may discipline a student for academic dishonesty, including any of the following or similar examples of false representation of a student's performance: cheating on an examination; collaborating with others on work to be presented unless specifically allowed by the instructor; plagiarizing, including submitting the work of others as one's own (whether purchased, borrowed, or otherwise obtained); stealing examinations; falsifying records or data; submitting work previously presented in another course, unless specifically allowed by the instructor; or participating in an arrangement whereby work, classroom activity, or an examination is done by another person.

Discipline Committee and Appeal Tribunal

Instances of student misconduct may be adjudicated through the Office of the Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs or through the Student Faculty Discipline Committee described in the Student Handbook. In addition, students may appeal decisions rendered by the Student Faculty Discipline Committee to an Appeal Tribunal. The Appeal Tribunal recommends to the chancellor its decision on the appeal.

Withdrawal from the University

Any student considering withdrawal from the university is encouraged to consult with a staff member at Counseling Services. To be official, any withdrawal from the university must be cleared with the Registrar's Office, Counseling Services, the student's academic advisor, Student Housing Office, Financial Aid Office, Karrmann Library, Textbook Center, and the Cashier's Office. All fees and assessments must be paid on all books returned to the library before an official clearance to withdraw can be given. Specific directions concerning withdrawal may be received by contacting the Registrar's Office.

Requirements for the Associate's Degree

Students may apply for and be granted an Associate's Degree from UW-Platteville providing they have:

  1. A minimum of 60 credits.
  2. Fulfilled all general education requirements.
  3. A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00.
  4. Have earned at least 24 of the 60 credits at UWP.

Requirements for the Bachelor's Degree

First Bachelor's Degree

In order to graduate with bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degrees, students must earn a minimum of 120 college or university credits (some programs require more than 120 credits), and they must (a) satisfy all the requirements for the particular university degree and for the college in which they are enrolled, (b) satisfy all requirements for a major, and (c) earn a minimum of 39 credits in upper division courses (courses numbered 3000 or above). NOTE: Students with majors in the College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science must earn a minimum of 40 credits in upper division courses. All students are expected to earn cumulative grade point averages of at least 2.00 in all subjects and within a major field, but must meet any higher minimum academic standards set for particular majors, minors, or colleges. All students must earn 32 credits in residence at UW-Platteville and also 23 of their last 32 credits in residence. Of course, students will not be granted a degree until they have met all their financial obligations to UW-Platteville.

Second Bachelor's Degree

According to the University Undergraduate Curriculum Commission, April 8, 1987:

  1. Students with a baccalaureate degree from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville who wish to earn a second major from UW-Platteville may accomplish this by doing the following:
    1. Complete the requirements for the new major not already satisfied.
    2. Satisfy other college and institutional graduation requirements for the new major.

    All general education requirements are satisfied by the first baccalaureate degree.

    A separate diploma will be awarded only when the new major leads to a degree different from the first degree granted. Fulfillment of requirements for a second major of the same degree type will not lead to a second degree, but rather credit for a second major will be entered on the recipient's transcript.

  2. Students with a baccalaureate degree from any other accredited institution who wish to earn a second and distinct degree from UW-Platteville must fulfill the following requirements:
    1. Complete the departmental requirements for the new major not already satisfied.
    2. Satisfy current college and institutional graduation and residency requirements for the new major.

    All general education requirements are satisfied by the first baccalaureate degree.

    Please see the section entitled EXCESS CREDIT POLICY regarding questions.


Students approaching completion of their program should:

  1. Report to the Registrar's Office at the beginning of their senior year.
  2. Complete and file a "Candidate for Graduation" card with the Registrar's Office at that time.
  3. Review with their major advisor(s), all course work, credits earned, and possible waivers or changes to their degree.
  4. Inform the Registrar's Office of any degree changes, substitutions or waivers.
  5. Prepare for Commencement (attendance is strongly encouraged) by ordering a cap/gown and arranging personal and other details.

The Registrar's Office will produce a final evaluation of a student's credits when the "Candidate for Graduation" card is submitted. This evaluation will formally review all credits taken, transferred, or substituted/waived, and detail which course work remains or has not yet been taken. From this evaluation, students will recognize which credits or courses are to be completed in their last term of attendance. Cautious advising is very important during the senior year.

Commencements are held twice each year - at the end of the fall and spring semesters. All course work (including co-ops, internships, and student teaching) must be completed before a degree will be awarded, and attendance at a Commencement ceremony is permitted. Candidates for graduation at the end of a summer session must inform the registrar if they wish to attend the May or December Commencement. Although attendance is optional, we strongly encourage all graduates and their families to attend this important ceremony and celebrate the achievements of our new graduates.