Educational loans and work-study are available to graduate students who are regular degree seeking students enrolled at least half-time (five or more credits). Students enrolled as "special" are not eligible for financial aid. To be considered for the programs listed below, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov.


Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan

Students borrow the money from a private lending institution union. To be eligible, students must show financial need. The loan is interest free as long as student is enrolled at least half time. Repayment at a fixed interest rate (at 6.0 percent for loans disbursed after July 1, 2008) begins six months after a student leaves school or graduates. The maximum amount students may borrow is $8,500 per year.

Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan

This loan is not based on need. However, the student must complete the FAFSA. Provisions of this loan are the same as Stafford Loan except the student is responsible for the interest while in school and the interest is a fixed rate at 6.8 percent. The annual loan amounts apply to the total amounts borrowed in both the Stafford and Unsubsidized Stafford. Maximum amount a graduate student may borrow is $12,000 per year.

Federal Perkins Loan

The loan is interest free as long as student is enrolled at least half time at an eligible institution. Repayment of the principal plus 5 percent interest per year begins nine months after the student leaves school or graduates. Loan eligibility is based on need.

Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students are eligible to borrow under the Graduate PLUS Loan program. Students can borrow up to their cost of attendance minus other financial aid received. Applicants are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They also must have applied for the annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Subsidized Stafford and Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. A credit check is required and repayment begins on the last disbursement of the loan. The interest rate is a fixed rate 8.5 percent.

Federal Work-Study Program

The work-study program allows eligible students to work on campus to earn money. Work-study jobs are posted in the Financial Aid Office and at www3.uwplatt.edu/financial-aid/student-employment.

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Grant

Students of color and economically disadvantaged students may apply for this grant to assist with payment of college costs. Applicant must be admitted to a degree program, be a Wisconsin resident, and be enrolled for at least five credits from UW-Platteville. Students that are enrolled in online graduate programs are not eligible. To be considered, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed and an AOP Grant application which can be obtained at www.uwplatt.edu/gradstudies/AOP_Grant.html.

Other Programs That Do Not Require a Financial Aid Application:

Veterans Benefits


Graduate students who are eligible for educational entitlement from the Veterans Administration or from the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs should contact the certifying official in the Registrar's office, 101 Brigham Hall, 608.342.1321.

Graduate Assistantship

State-supported graduate assistantships are available in graduate programs offered on-campus. Graduate assistantships are intended to provide financial assistance to students, professional growth for students, and professional assistance to the university. A full graduate assistantship requires a student to provide 20 hours of professional responsibilities per week while he or she is enrolled in a minimum of eight semester hours of course work. Full-time or part-time assistantships are available. A full graduate assistantship currently pays up to $7,775.00 per academic year. For out-of-state graduate assistants with full graduate assistantships, out-of-state tuition may be waived and the students will be required to pay resident tuition only. Selection will be based primarily upon overall undergraduate scholastic achievement and potential for future professional growth.

Complete the graduate assistantship application form and return the completed form to the School of Graduate Studies Office, 106 Brigham Hall. The graduate assistantship application form is available for printing from webpage www.uwplatt.edu/gradstudies/files/G_Assistantship_Application_Revised.pdf Only students who have been admitted to a graduate program and are carrying eight credits or more are eligible for assistantships. Students enrolled as "special" are ineligible.

Please note that final appointment to a graduate assistantship is contingent on a criminal history background check. We need your consent to conduct a criminal history background check. At the time you are offered a graduate assistantship, you will be requested to complete and return a consent form. A form will be provided at that time. The consent form may also be printed off from webpage www.uwplatt.edu/pers/doc/CriminalHistoryBkgChk.pdf. Failure to return the consent form by the date indicated will result in the assistantship being offered to another individual.

A completed application for graduate assistantship must be received in our office by April 1st of the academic year you are applying for - example: fall 2010 and spring 2011 comprise the academic year of 2010-2011.


Linda Jamieson - School of Graduate Studies
106 Brigham Hall
1 University Plaza
Platteville, Wisconsin 53818-3099
Phone: 608.342.1322
Fax: 608.342.1389
E-mail: raimer@uwplatt.edu

NOTE: the School of Graduate Studies is housed inside the Registrar's Office suite, 101 Brigham Hall.