III. Online Programs

General Information

Distance Learning Center
2100 Ullsvik Hall
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville WI 53818-3099
Phone: 608.342.1468 or 800.362.5460
Web Site:www.uwplatt.edu/disted
FAX: 608.342.1071

NOTE: All fees mentioned in this catalog are subject to change without prior notice.

UW-Platteville's Mission

The fundamental mission of UW-Platteville and the entire UW System is to serve the people of Wisconsin. This basic goal is expressed in detail in the mission statement adopted in 1988 and revised in 2002. In those statements, UW-Platteville pledges itself to:

  1. Enable each student to become broader in perspective, more literate, intellectually more astute, ethically more sensitive, and to participate wisely in society as a competent professional and knowledgeable citizen.
  2. Provide baccalaureate degree programs which meet primarily regional needs in arts and sciences, teacher education, business and information technology.
  3. Provide baccalaureate degree programs and specialized programs in middle school education, engineering, technology management, agriculture, and criminal justice which have been identified as institutional areas of emphasis.
  4. Provide graduate programs in areas clearly associated with its undergraduate emphases in education, agriculture, technology management, engineering and criminal justice.
  5. Provide undergraduate distance learning programs in business administration and graduate online programs in project management, criminal justice, and engineering.
  6. Provide agricultural systems research programs utilizing the Pioneer Farm in partnership with businesses, universities, and agencies.
  7. Expect scholarly activity, including applied research, scholarship and creative endeavor, that supports its programs at the baccalaureate degree level, its selected graduate programs, and its special mission.
  8. Seek to serve the needs of all students and in particular the needs of women, minority, disadvantaged and nontraditional students. Furthermore, the University seeks diversification of the student body, faculty, and staff.
  9. Serve as an educational, cultural and economic development resource to southwestern Wisconsin.

These statements, along with the UW System and University Cluster mission statements, provide a guide to UW-Platteville in what it attempts and does not attempt to accomplish as an institution of higher education.

Mission of the School of Graduate Studies

The purpose of the School of Graduate Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is to coordinate and oversee high quality, practitioner-oriented graduate programs whose goal is to provide degree seeking and nondegree seeking students with advanced educational preparation for careers in criminal justice, computer science, counseling, education, engineering, industry, and project management. This purpose reflects the University of Wisconsin-Platteville's mission to "provide graduate programs in areas clearly associated with its undergraduate emphases…," along with other selected graduate programs.

History of Distance Learning

UW-Platteville's rich tradition in distance education began in 1979 when a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration was made available to working adults throughout Wisconsin. In 1996, the program extended its reach to adults throughout the United States.

As new delivery techniques became available such as audio teleconferencing, audiographics, compressed video, full-motion video, and the Internet, the university began to develop several distance learning projects to serve the new groups of students who are not able to attend class on a traditional campus. In 1999, both print-based and online courses for the Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration were offered, and three 100% online master's degrees were developed in Criminal Justice, Project Management, and Engineering. In Fall 2006 an online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice was established. The programs are available worldwide. The resources and staff from the various programs involved in distance education were brought together in one location to form the Distance Learning Center.

Benefits of Earning a Master's Degree at a Distance from UW-Platteville

Distance learning is designed to serve adults looking for personal fulfillment, advancement in their present jobs, or for a complete career change. A University of Wisconsin-Platteville master's degree can be earned through distance learning while simultaneously meeting one's professional and personal commitments. We currently offer three complete master's degrees at a distance. No campus visits are required. All programs are delivered in a 100% online format, accessed through an Internet browser. A student does not need to be online at a specific time to access the courses.

The online courses are offered on a semester basis roughly following the fall, spring, and summer terms. Students may start registering approximately three months prior to the start of the course and must register no later than two weeks prior to the start of the course.

For detailed information, course availability, tuition rates, and registration instructions, please visit our web site at http://www.uwplatt.edu/disted.

Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity


It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville to provide equal opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, pregnancy, political affiliation, arrest or conviction record, identity as a veteran, disabled veteran, membership in the national guard, state defense force or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or this state. Sexual harassment is illegal and will not be tolerated. Co-workers and supervisors may not retaliate against any employee, student, or job applicant because he or she filed a complaint, assisted in an investigation or participated in any proceeding alleging discrimination on the foregoing basis.

The University ensures physical accessibility to work environments for persons with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment. Upon request, the University will provide reasonable accommodations for religious observances and practices.

The University is committed to a program of affirmative action for women, racial minorities, persons with disabilities, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans who separated within the last three years, those who are in the Armed Forces Service Medal Veteran category and veterans of the Vietnam era under the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended.While the Chancellor assumes overall responsibility for the success of the program, university administrators and supervisors are responsible and accountable for implementation. Authority for monitoring the program is delegated to the Director of Human Resources.

Each individual associated with the University is encouraged to pledge a new and revitalized commitment to build and maintain an educational environment free of harassment and discrimination - an environment that fosters mutual respect, recognizes the dignity and worth of all people, and promotes to the fullest, equal employment opportunity through affirmative action.

Students having concerns or questions about discrimination, harassment or sexual assault are encouraged to contact the Human Resources Office (2300 Ullsvik Hall, 608.342.1776). All inquiries will be treated confidentially.

Research Involving Human Subjects

All research projects – funded or unfunded, originated at or supported by UWP – that involve humans as participants, or data or materials derived from humans, must be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board for Human Subject Research (IRB) before the research is initiated.

Students must prepare a research protocol, describing their project and addressing human participant issues, and then submit the protocol to the IRB Chair for review. Students may obtain a Manual of Policies and Procedures to review research involving human participants from the Chair of the IRB, the Office of Sponsored Programs (608.342.1456), or online at www.uwplatt.edu/committees/irbhsr/index.html. Other IRB information, including protocol forms and names of IRB committee members, may also be found online.

Degrees and Programs

Currently, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville offers three 100% online graduate degrees. No campus visits are required.



The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is accredited by:



The University of Wisconsin-Platteville holds membership in the following organizations:

General Requirements for All Online Master's Degrees

Academic Requirements

The following are the minimum requirements for all master's degrees. Individual programs may have additional or varied requirements:

Writing Requirement

Students in the online programs in Criminal Justice and Project Management must satisfy the writing requirement of their degree program. Students may satisfy the writing requirements by completing one of the following:

Students should consult with individual program coordinators for guidelines for meeting their program's requirement.

Grade Point Average

Graduate students must maintain a minimum 3.00 grade point average.

Admission Policies and Procedures

Those seeking admission must have an earned bachelor’s degree from a nationally or regionally accredited institution recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). International degrees will be evaluated individually.

Applicants for the Engineering and Project Management programs will be required to submit a résumé.

Applicants for the Criminal Justice program will be required to submit a portfolio (detailed requirements will be provided by the Criminal Justice Department after receiving the student’s application)./p>

Individual programs may have additional admission requirements. The faculty in the program area will evaluate each application for admission.

Recommendations for admission, including admission status, will be based on a number of factors such as academic background in specific areas, performance in specific areas, recommendations, and previous graduate work. Admission status will be determined and reported to the applicant by the Distance Learning Center.

Students seeking admission to the School of Graduate Studies must do the following:

Complete and submit the online University of Wisconsin-System Application for Graduate Admission that may be accessed from our website: www.uwplatt.edu/disted.

Pay the application fee (currently $56) at our secure online site or mail a check payable to University of Wisconsin-Platteville to Distance Learning Center, University of Wisconsin-Platteville, 1 University Plaza, Platteville, WI 53818-3099

Arrange to have an official* transcript sent from the institution granting your undergraduate degree to the Distance Learning Center at the address above.

If the student has previously taken graduate courses and would like to have them considered for transfer to a UWP online graduate degree, the student must also provide official* transcript(s) from the institution(s) where the graduate credits were earned.

*All official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) where the course work was completed. We cannot accept or evaluate unofficial transcripts.

Applications will not be processed until the application, application fee, and the official transcript from the institution granting the undergraduate degree are on file. All transcripts become the property of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville and will remain on file at the university.

International Students

International degrees will be evaluated individually. In addition to filing the standard application for admission international students must file:

Admission Status

Upon being admitted, students will be classified in one of the following categories:

Full Standing

To be eligible for admission in full standing, a student must have an overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or above, or 2.90 on the last 60 credits from the degree-granting institution.

Trial Enrollment

Students who do not qualify for admission in full standing may be admitted on trial enrollment. Trial enrollment admission status is to be used only in extraordinary cases. Admission as a trial enrollee must be justified by the admitting department and approved by the dean of the School of Graduate Studies. After a student completes a minimum of nine credits of graduate course work (specified by the program area), the faculty in the program area recommends that the student's status be changed to full standing, probation, or dismissal. The credits earned while on trial enrollment may be counted toward a degree if approved by the faculty in the program area.

Special Students

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from a nationally or regionally accredited institution recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) may register as a special student. Special students receive full academic credit for credit courses taken while they are on special student status. The special student may later be considered for admission into a degree program if a 3.00 grade point average has been maintained in all graduate-level work and all other admission requirements are met. With the program area's approval, a special student may transfer up to 12 credits earned at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville into a degree program. All UWP graduate level work will be included in computing the student's academic average. Students are encouraged to talk to the appropriate program coordinator if they have questions about which courses to take as a special student. Special students may register for courses directly by going to our web site www.uwplatt.edu/disted.

Assignment of Advisor

An advisor will be assigned to each new graduate student by the program coordinator upon the student's admission to the School of Graduate Studies. The dean of the School of Graduate Studies will confirm the final approval of advisor assignments. A student may request a change of advisor at any point during graduate study. The student may obtain a graduate advisor change form from the Distance Learning Center.

Registration and Course Policies

Criteria for Graduate-Level Course Work

Graduate course work focuses on advanced disciplinary content, usually as an extension of the discipline content presented at the undergraduate level. When graduate work introduces basic concepts, it typically introduces discipline content that is not offered at the undergraduate level and is dependent upon knowledge acquired at the undergraduate level. In addition, introductory graduate course work may be delivered in an accelerated way to develop a knowledge base for an individual who possesses an undergraduate degree in another field or for individuals who seek to broaden their undergraduate preparation.

Graduate course work employs instructional methods that require more self-directed learning on the part of the student. Course work is more specialized and program specific, which contributes to the student's career goals and various enhancements leading to certification, licensure, and career advancement.

Graduate course work shall be taught only by graduate faculty or by other qualified faculty as determined by the Graduate Council. Course work shall be taught in formats that allow adequate reflection and integration of learning.

Numbering of Courses

Courses numbered 7000 are open only to graduate students. Courses numbered 5000-6990 may be taken by graduate students for graduate credit, provided they have not taken the courses at the undergraduate level.

Because courses numbered 5000-6990 are open to both undergraduate and graduate students, graduate students are expected to do work of higher quality than is expected of undergraduates. In addition, the work is expected to be more detailed and thorough, and include projects not regularly assigned to undergraduates.

Undergraduate Students Enrolled in Graduate Classes

Senior undergraduate students attending UW-Platteville are eligible to take graduate courses numbered 5000-6990 for graduate credit if

Undergraduate students should contact the Distance Learning Center if they are registering for both graduate and undergraduate classes at the same time.

Note: Graduate credits cannot be applied toward completion of an undergraduate degree.

Graduate Students Enrolled in Undergraduate Classes

Graduate students may take UWP graduate and undergraduate courses concurrently. Students should contact the Distance Learning Center if they are registering for both graduate and undergraduate courses in the same semester.

Note: Undergraduate credits cannot be applied toward completion of a master's degree

Transfer Credits

The following guidelines apply to the transfer of credits to graduate programs at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Applying Credits Earned in One Graduate Program Toward Another Graduate Degree

Credits from other University of Wisconsin-Platteville graduate degree programs may be applied to a second graduate degree at UW-Platteville upon the recommendation of the program faculty, up to a maximum of 50% of the credits required for the degree. The total of credits from other University of Wisconsin-Platteville degree programs and credits transferred from other institutions cannot exceed 50 percent of the credits required for the degree.


Courses and workshops may be offered at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville on a pass-fail basis. Only a grade of "Pass-Fail" will be recorded for courses taken under this system. Three credits of pass-fail work may be counted toward a master's degree.

Independent Study

Students enrolling for independent study should download the appropriate forms from the Distance Learning web site (www.uwplatt.edu/disted). The student must complete the form and obtain all required signatures before registering for the course. A student may register for more than the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department; however, the student may only apply the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department toward a master's degree at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Full-Time Students

For fee purposes, nine credits constitute a full load during the fall and spring semesters and five credits during the summer session. Full-time status for other purposes, such as financial aid, may be defined differently.


After corresponding with an advisor, graduate students register online at www.uwplatt.edu/disted. Graduate students are allowed to register for up to six credits during the summer sessions and up to nine credits during the fall/spring semesters. If a student wishes to take more credits (up to 8 credits during summer sessions and up to 12 credits during fall/spring semesters), the student must contact his or her advisor for approval. A graduate student who wishes to appeal an advisor’s decision should contact the dean of the School of Graduate Studies. A graduate student who wishes to take more than 8 credits for the summer session or 12 credits for the fall/spring semesters will need the additional approval (beyond the advisor’s approval) of the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Note: If a graduate student does not have an assigned graduate advisor but is attending as a special (non-degree seeking) student, the dean of the School of Graduate Studies’ approval replaces the advisor’s approval.

Degree Requirements

Writing Requirement Options

As discussed previously, students in the online Project Management and Criminal Justice programs may satisfy the writing requirement by doing one of the following:

A more detailed discussion of these options follows.


The thesis may be an outgrowth of a research course or may be developed independently within the program area. The thesis will report the results of original and independent student research on a given problem or topic, by systematic and impartial methods and will demonstrate the student's ability to use techniques customarily employed in the particular field of investigation. Although a thesis for the master's degree may not always be expected to make a significant contribution to existing knowledge, it should be a scholarly document that is accurate, verifiable, objective, and impartial.

There is a website with useful links to guide the graduate student in grammar, style, evaluating web resources, and formats. The thesis advisor will provide guidance regarding the site. The site may be accessed through the University's Karrmann Library (www.uwplatt.edu/library/reference/gradstud.html).

Oral Examinations

Oral examinations are required of all students who choose the option of writing a thesis. In consultation with their thesis advisors, students shall arrange an examination date. The thesis committee shall conduct the oral examination, with the thesis advisor serving as chair.

Evaluation of Oral Examinations

The oral examination will be a defense of the student's thesis. The thesis advisor will submit the committee's evaluation, in writing, to the distance learning office. The distance learning office shall inform students of their performances.

Checklist for Completion of the Master's Thesis

Seminar Paper

Unlike a thesis, the seminar paper need not be a report of original and independent research. It must demonstrate, however, the student's ability to survey a field of knowledge and assemble, organize, evaluate, interpret, and present evidence in a logical and intelligent manner. Although the seminar paper may originate from work done in connection with one of the student's graduate courses and be based upon a term paper or course project, it must be more comprehensive and complete in coverage and treatment.

There is a website with useful links to guide the graduate student in grammar, style, evaluating web resources, and formats. The seminar paper advisor will provide guidance regarding the site. The site may be accessed through the University's Karrmann Library (www.uwplatt.edu/library/reference/gradstud.html).

Checklist for Completion of the Master's Seminar Paper

Capstone Experience

Some programs, such as Project Management, require the completion of a capstone experience as a final project for the degree. This capstone course allows students to demonstrate their knowledge through a project that is a culmination of the experience gained in the program. Students must receive approval from their Program Coordinator for the capstone project.

Graduate Paper Style and Format

The thesis, seminar paper or educational project should follow one of three adopted manuals: A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses and Dissertation, Katie L. Turabian, The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, or Modern Language Association Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. (Or any style approved by the major department.)

Tuition, Fees, and Expenses


Because tuition charges are subject to change, current figures cannot be published in a two-year catalog. The specific costs are available through the Distance Learning Center. For specific information about tuition, please visit our web site at www.uwplatt.edu/disted or call 800.362.5460.


Textbooks for online programs are ordered when a student fills out the registration form for a course. You will order your books from an online bookstore, and they will be delivered to your home. Instructions for ordering textbooks will be made available after the student has registered.

Refund Policy

Students may receive a refund of tuition upon officially dropping a class according to the following schedule:

Length of Course Wk 1 Wk 2 Wk 3 Wk 4 After
12 weeks & over 100% 100% 50% 50% None
8 - 11 weeks 100% 50% 25% None None
5 - 7 weeks 100% 50% None None None
3 - 4 weeks 100% 25% None None
2 weeks 100% None

Note: This refund schedule is subject to change without notice. The application fee and any administrative fees are nonrefundable.

Academic Procedures

Course Incompletes

An Incomplete (I) may be given when a student fails to complete all requirements for the course during the semester of registration. Incompletes must be removed within six weeks of the beginning of the following term or the Incomplete will become a Failure (F). An extension of the six-week time limitation may be granted upon written request of the instructor of the course in which the Incomplete was given.

Incompletes given in thesis research will become a Failure after one year if the thesis is not completed. An extension of the one-year time limitation may be requested by the student and approved by the thesis advisor for submission to the School of Graduate Studies. Students must re-register and pay tuition and fees for thesis research in which the incomplete has been changed to an "F." The student must to file a repeat card with the School of Graduate Studies Office.

Minimum Standard

Graduate credits in which a grade lower than a "C" has been earned will not be counted toward a degree; however, these lower grades will be reflected in the student's grade point average.

Repeating Courses

Graduate students may repeat courses previously taken for graduate credit. Any repetition must have the approval of the student's advisor and the dean of the School of Graduate Studies before or at the time of registration. A given course may be repeated once. The grade earned in the repetition of the course replaces the grade earned initially, even if the second grade is lower than the first grade. The initial grade remains on the record but is not reflected in the grade point average. A repeat card must be filed with the Distance Learning Center at the time of registration.

Dropping Courses

Students may drop a course before it begins. Students must officially drop a course by completing the online drop form at the registration site https://register.wlearn.com>register.wlearn.com. If a student who is registered in a course withdraws from that course in the first two weeks of class in that semester, that course will not be recorded on the student's transcript. If a student who is registered in a course withdraws from that course any time after the second week of class, but before middle of the term, he or she will receive a notation of "withdrawn" on his or her transcript. Students may only drop a course beyond the middle of the term with special permission. Contact the Distance Learning Center for details.

Withdrawing from School

To be official, any withdrawal must be approved by the dean of the School of Graduate Studies, the instructors concerned, the student's advisor, the director of financial aid, and the Distance Learning Center. Grades of "F" (failure) will be recorded in the case of unofficial withdrawals. All fees and assessments must be paid before a student will be granted official clearance. Students who withdraw after the end of the tenth week of a term must petition, in writing, the dean of the School of Graduate Studies for permission to begin withdrawal procedures.

Retention, Probation, and Dismissal

An minimum 3.00 graduate grade point average is required to maintain full standing. If the overall grade point average drops below 3.00, the student is placed on probation. If after an additional twelve graduate credits, the student's grade point average remains below 3.00, the student will be dismissed.

Time Limitation

Graduate students are allowed seven years from the date of admission into a master's program to complete degree requirements. Extensions will be granted for unusual health conditions, fulfillment of military obligations, or other extenuating circumstances. Students may petition for an extension, in writing, to their graduate advisor. The graduate advisor will then inform the School of Graduate Studies, in writing, of his or her recommendation. The dean of the School of Graduate Studies will make the final decision.

Discontinuation of Inactive Students

Graduate students who are inactive (non-registration) after three academic years (fall/spring/summer) will be discontinued from their graduate program. Students may reapply for admission to the same or another graduate program. However, credits earned previously at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville may be applied to the student's graduate program only upon the approval of the student's advisor, the director/coordinator of the graduate program, and the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Student Discipline

The Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs handles matters involving students' rights and responsibilities. The assistant chancellor's responsibilities regarding discipline are two-fold: to ensure that students are treated fairly, and to see that students meet university policies and regulations. The assistant chancellor is guided in this effort by Chapters 14, 17, and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code and by those regulations specific to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. (See the University of Wisconsin-Platteville "Policies Governing Student Life" online at www.uwplatt.edu/university/documents/student_policies/chapter14.html for details regarding student disciplinary procedures and the conduct expectations in chapters 14, 17, and 18.)

The university may discipline a student for academic misconduct, including any of the following or similar examples of false representation of a student's performance:

For complete details, review the policy at www.uwplatt.edu/university/documents/student_policies/chapter14.html or request a printed version from the Office of Student Affairs.


Approximately one month prior to starting the final semester, the student must notify his/her advisor of intent to graduate by e-mailing his/her full name, degree, and month and year of anticipated graduation.

The advisor will then send an intent to graduate memo to the Distance Learning Center, with a signed copy of the student's program plan, thereby confirming that the student meets all department requirements for graduation.

The file is reviewed to verify that all payments have been received, the official transcripts are on file, and graduate school requirements have been met. The student will receive a graduation packet by e-mail, informing him/her that in order to apply for graduation, he/she will need to do the following by the stated deadline:

When the student returns the "File for Master's Degree Form" and graduation fee to the Distance Learning Center, the fee is processed, and the student will receive a confirmation letter that verifies:

Information about the graduation ceremony, purchase of caps, master's hoods and gowns, tickets and other graduation activities will be sent to students approximately two months before graduation for those who wish to participate in the graduation ceremony.

The student must contact the University Bookstore at the UW-Platteville Pioneer Student Center (608.342.1486) for assistance in ordering his/her cap, gown, tassel, and master's hood. The cost for these items, including tax is approximately $60.00. There is an additional fee of approximately $7.00 for shipping the items.

The actual diploma is not given out at graduation - it will be mailed 8-10 weeks after graduation, providing all necessary grades are posted and financial obligations have been met.

Questions regarding graduation should be directed to the Distance Learning Center at 1.800.362.5460 or 608.342.1468.


Students who complete the requirements for a master's degree are invited to be present at the next spring or fall commencement program. At this commencement, degrees will be formally conferred. Students at a distance who are unable to travel to campus may participate in commencement activities through a virtual graduation site at www.uwplatt.edu/disted.

Student Assistance Services

Financial Aid


Financial aid is a complex area within student services that requires a great deal of specialized knowledge and information. Your individual consultation with the Financial Aid Office will be essential for you to understand the implications and proper procedures or options available to you. NOTE: Special Students and International Students are not eligible to receive financial aid.

If you are admitted to a degree program (matriculated), you may qualify for federal financial aid, including loans. Eligibility for loans will be determined after you have completed the U.S. Department of Education's online financial aid application at www.fafsa.ed.gov or you may request a paper application from the Financial Aid Office. The priority date for filing is March 15 (not a deadline)

The process of determining whether you qualify for financial aid takes approximately eight weeks. To receive financial aid forms or to have financial aid questions answered, contact:

Sheila Trotter Financial Aid Office 204 Brigham Hall University of Wisconsin-Platteville 1 University Plaza Platteville, WI 53818-3099 trotter@uwplatt.edu Phone 608.342.1836

In all correspondence with the Financial Aid Office, be sure to indicate that you are taking classes at a distance.

Further information about financial aid can be found at the UW-Platteville Financial Aid Office website: www.uwplatt.edu/finaid. Educational loans are available to graduate students who are regular degree seeking students enrolled at least half-time (5 or more credits). Students enrolled as "special" are not eligible for financial aid. To be considered for the programs listed below, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov


Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan

Students borrow the money from a private lending institution union. To be eligible, students must show financial need. The loan is interest free as long as student is enrolled at least half time. Repayment at a fixed interest rate (at 6.0% for loans disbursed after July 1, 2008) begins six months after a student leaves school or graduates. The maximum amount students may borrow is $8500 per year.

Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan

This loan is not based on need. However, the student must complete the FAFSA. Provisions of this loan are the same as Stafford Loan except the student is responsible for the interest while in school and the interest is a fixed rate at 6.8%. The annual loan amounts apply to the total amounts borrowed in both the Stafford and Unsubsidized Stafford. Maximum amount a graduate student may borrow is $12,000 per year.

Federal Perkins Loan

The loan is interest free as long as student is enrolled at least half time at an eligible institution. Repayment of the principal plus 5% interest per year begins nine months after the student leaves school or graduates. Loan eligibility is based on need.

Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students are eligible to borrow under the Graduate PLUS Loan program. Students can borrow up to their cost of attendance minus other financial aid received. Applicants are required to complete the Free Application for federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They also must have applied for the annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Subsidized Stafford and Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. A credit check is required and repayment begins on the last disbursement of the loan. The interest rate is a fixed rate 8.5%

Other Programs That Do Not Require a Financial Aid Application:

Veterans Benefits


Graduate students who are eligible for educational entitlement from the Veterans Administration or from the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs should contact the certifying official in the Registrar's office, 101 Brigham Hall, 608.342.1321.

Services for Students with Disabilities


Services for Students with Disabilities works to ensure that no qualified student, solely by reason of disability, are denied access to, participation in, or the benefits of, any academic program or activity offered by the university. The office provides information about disability services to students and university personnel; coordinates academic accommodations and auxiliary aides; refers students to appropriate sources for non-academic accommodations or auxiliary services and provides advocacy for students with disabilities. The services are provided to assist students with disabilities in receiving the academic accommodations needed to ensure equal access to the educational environment and to assist students with disabilities in obtaining access to university programs and activities in the most integrated setting appropriate. Services for Students with Disabilities are located at 103 Warner Hall, 608.342.1818 (voice and TTY).

To begin the process of obtaining accommodations, students with disabilities must provide documentation of their disability and make their requests for accommodations known to the Services for Students with Disabilities Office as early as possible.

Career Center


Web-based recruiting is one method to match employers with potential employees. A free service is available to any currently enrolled, degree-seeking UW-Platteville undergraduate and graduate student through the UWPioneer Career Network (PCN) system. The first step is to access the UW-Platteville Career Center web page to register online: www.uwplatt.edu/careercenter.

The new Alumni Career Services Program provides alumni flexibility in utilizing career services provided through the Career Center by providing various service levels applicable to various stages of alums’ advanced career searches. To review the levels of participation and fees associated with services, please visit the following website: www.uwplatt.edu/careercenter/alumni/services.html

The PCN system allows users to post a résumé as part of the initial registration process, edit their résumés at any time, search internship, co-op, and full-time employment opportunities, set up interviews electronically, and track which companies have looked at their résumés.

The Career Center also invites distance learning students who are able to travel to campus to attend the bi-annual Career Fair events held in September and February. More information can be found on the Career Center website. The Career Center also offers the opportunity to “career chat” by contacting them for online advice on résumés and job searching initiatives.

If there are any problems or questions about the UWPioneer Career Network (PCN) system, résumés, or interviewing, don’t hesitate to contact the Career Center.

Career Center
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville WI 53818-3099
Phone: 608.342.1183
FAX: 608.342.1172
Web Site:www.uwplatt.edu/careercenter



Official transcripts of a student's record may be obtained by written request to the Registrar's Office, 101 Brigham Hall, 608.342.1321, FAX 608.342.1389. Transcript request forms are available at the Registrar's Office or you may download the form from www.uwplatt.edu/registrar/transcripts.html. The request must include the student's signature, student ID number or the last 4 digits of the social security number, date of birth, dates of attendance, and address where the transcript should be sent. Transcripts currently cost $5.00 per copy. Payment may be made by cash, check, money order, VISA, or MasterCard. Payment using VISA or MasterCard on a faxed or letter request must include the credit card account number, name under which the credit card account is held, and the expiration date. Requests for information concerning activities and scholastic records of students or former students of the Distance Learning Center will not be released without the authorization for release by the person whose record is involved. Exceptions are made only as prescribed in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act-1974. All outstanding obligations must be cleared before an official transcript will be issued. It is the student's obligation to know that this record is clear.

Information Services

Karrmann Library

The Karrmann Library is a modern learning resource center that provides diverse information accessible through computerized indexes. The collections include: 226,800 books; 137,700 government publications; 11,600 audiovisual materials; 18,700 maps; 906,000 microforms; and subscriptions to more than 1,000 periodicals, 70 newspapers, and 1,600 other serial titles. A statewide interlibrary loan network supplements these materials. The library's Web page may be accessed through the Distance Learning web site www.uwplatt.edu/disted. It provides access to a wide variety of electronic resources available on the Internet, including "full text" articles. The library resources may be accessed either in the library or remotely from offices or homes. Questions may be directed to a Karrmann Library Reference Librarian by calling toll-free 1.888.450.4632.