Currently, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville offers seven graduate degrees:

On Campus


General Requirements for All On-Campus Master's Degrees

Academic Requirements

The following are the minimum requirements for all master’s degrees offered on campus. Individual programs may have additional requirements. Requirements for online graduate programs are identified in Section III of this catalog.

Admission to Candidacy

Admission to candidacy is required of graduate students in the following degree seeking programs:

  1. Counselor Education
  2. Master of Science in Education

Before graduate students are admitted to candidacy, their graduate advisor must approve a program check to verify that the initial credits toward a master’s degree have been successfully completed. An approved program planning form is developed at this time to allow the student to complete a master’s degree. To be admitted to candidacy, the following must occur:

At this time, the student and advisor complete an approved program planning form.

Policy on Candidacy

Graduate students who have earned at least nine graduate credits must begin the candidacy process and must have a departmental candidacy decision no later than the end of the next semester or session. For example, if a student successfully completes nine graduate credits in the fall semester, that student must begin candidacy procedures and have the candidacy process completed no later than the end of the spring semester. Students who are not enrolled in the semester following the completion of nine graduate credits must comply with the candidacy process before re-enrolling.

Candidacy Process

The School of Graduate Studies sends an admission to candidacy form to the advisor. The completed and signed admission to candidacy form, along with the approved program planning form (signed by the advisor), must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies no later than 4:00 p.m. of the last day of the semester or session. The School of Graduate Studies notifies students that the admission of candidacy has been posted to their graduate record. The Graduate Council and the advisor are notified also.

Writing Requirement Options

Students must satisfy the writing requirement of their degree program as determined by individual programs subject to approval by the Graduate Council. Examples of experiences which may meet this requirement include: thesis, seminar paper, educational project, performance, and exhibition. Students should consult with individual program advisors for guidelines for meeting program requirements. All programs must follow a common set of procedures for approval and submission.

A more detailed discussion of three of these options follows.


The thesis may be an outgrowth of a research course (e.g. TEACHING 7000 Research Procedures) or may be developed independently within the program area. The thesis will report the results of original and independent student research on a given problem or topic, by systematic and impartial methods, and will demonstrate the student’s ability to use techniques customarily employed in the particular field of investigation. Although a thesis for the master’s degree may not always be expected to make a significant contribution to existing knowledge, it should be a scholarly document that is accurate, verifiable, objective, and impartial.

There is a website with useful links to guide the graduate student in grammar, style, evaluating web resources, and formats. (Thesis students will find the Texas A and M link useful for formatting procedures and other technical assistance.) The thesis advisor will provide guidance regarding the site. The site may be accessed through the University’s Karrmann Library (

Checklist for Completion of the Master's Thesis

Seminar Paper or Educational Project

Unlike a thesis, the seminar paper or educational project need not be a report of original and independent research. It must demonstrate, however, the student’s ability to survey a field of knowledge and assemble, organize, evaluate, interpret, and present evidence in a logical and intelligent manner. Although the seminar paper or educational project may originate from work done in connection with one of the student’s graduate courses and be based upon a term paper or course project, it must be more comprehensive and complete in coverage and treatment.

There is a website with useful links to guide the graduate student in grammar, style, evaluating web resources, and formats. The seminar paper or educational project advisor will provide guidance regarding the site. The site may be accessed through the University’s Karrmann Library at

Checklist for Completion of the Master's Seminar Paper/Educational Project

Graduate Paper Style and Format

The thesis, seminar paper or educational project should follow one of three adopted manuals:

or any style approved by the major department.

Additional Credits

In lieu of writing a paper, some programs permit the student to take an additional six credits of course work. The student’s advisor and the department must approve selection of this option.

Grade Point Average

Graduate students must maintain a 3.00 grade point average.


While each graduate program is free to determine the specific nature of its examinations, it is the expectation of the Graduate Council that examinations qualifying students for the award of a master’s degree shall be of a comprehensive, integrative nature demonstrating mastery of the subject.

Each student in an on-campus master’s degree is required to successfully complete either a written comprehensive examination during the last semester of enrollment or an oral examination defending his or her thesis. The oral examination is held after the student’s completed thesis has been approved by the thesis committee. During the last semester, the student must complete a comprehensive examination form, which is available online at the School of Graduate Studies website The completed and approved form is due in the School of Graduate Studies Office by October 1st for fall semesters, March 1st for spring semesters, and by the end of the first week of a summer session. Graduate students may not take a comprehensive examination until they have been admitted to candidacy, are in full standing, and have finished all course requirements or are currently registered for course work that will complete the requirements.

Written Comprehensive Examinations

The written comprehensive examination must be taken during the last semester of course work needed for the degree. Students who wish to take the written comprehensive examination a semester early or a semester late must contact their advisors and obtain permission to do so. The advisor should forward the permission memo to the School of Graduate Studies stating when the comprehensive examination will be taken and the reason that the comprehensive examination will be taken early or late. The written comprehensive examination committee, which is approved by the advisor, shall prepare the examination questions.

Students must complete the written comprehensive examination form and receive approval from their advisor. The advisor will chair the comprehensive examination committee. If the advisor also provides comprehensive examination questions, only one additional faculty member will need to provide questions. If the advisor does not provide comprehensive examination questions, but only chairs the committee, the student will need two additional faculty members to provide comprehensive examination questions.

Students must contact faculty members before submitting their names to be sure they are willing to provide comprehensive examination questions. The advisors for those students in the Computer Science program will also set up the examination date and note it on the comprehensive examination form. Students in the Counselor Education and Master of Science in Education programs write their comprehensive examination on the same day in the presence of a proctor.

Once the comprehensive examination form is completed and approved by the advisor, it should be returned to the School of Graduate Studies. The original form will be kept in the School of Graduate Studies Office and a copy will be sent to the proctor (for Counselor Education and Master of Science in Education programs students only). It is the proctor’s duty to notify the student when and where the examination will be held.

Evaluation of Written Comprehensive Examinations

Each faculty member who submitted questions will provide an evaluation of the student’s answers to the proctor/advisor. The proctor/advisor shall collect the examination and forward the results and recommendations to the dean of the School of Graduate Studies or the director of the School of Education (for education programs) within one week following the examination date. In cases where the written performance is doubtful, the advisor may assemble the committee in an effort to decide upon the outcome of the comprehensive examination. Students will be notified of the results of their comprehensive examination either by the School of Education or the School of Graduate Studies Office.

Oral Examinations

Oral examinations are required of all students who choose the option of writing a thesis. In consultation with their thesis advisors, students shall arrange an examination date. The thesis committee shall conduct the oral examination, with the thesis advisor serving as chair.

Evaluation of Oral Examinations

The oral examination will be a defense of the student’s thesis. The thesis advisor will submit the committee’s evaluation, in writing, to the School of Graduate Studies. The dean of the School of Graduate Studies shall inform students of their performances.

Retaking Examinations

Students who are unsuccessful in their oral or written comprehensive may retake the examination after one semester. Students will not be allowed to take comprehensive examinations a third time without recommendations from their advisors, their major departments, and approval of the Graduate Council.

Course Incompletes

An Incomplete (I) may be given when a student fails to complete all requirements for the course during the semester of registration. An Incomplete must be removed within six weeks of the beginning of the following term or the Incomplete will become a Failure (F). An extension of the six-week time limitation may be granted upon written request of the instructor of the course in which the Incomplete was given.

An Incomplete given in thesis, seminar paper or educational project research will become a Failure (F) after one year if the paper is not completed. Extension of the one-year time limitation may be requested by the student and approved by the thesis or seminar paper/educational project advisor for submission to the School of Graduate Studies. A student must re-register and pay tuition and fees for thesis, seminar paper or educational project research in which the Incomplete has been changed to an “F.” The student must file a repeat card with the School of Graduate Studies Office.

Minimum Standard

Graduate credits in which a grade lower than a “C” has been earned will not be counted toward a degree; however, these lower grades will be reflected in the student’s grade point average.

Repeating Courses

Graduate students may repeat courses previously taken for graduate credit. A given course may be repeated once. The grade earned in the repetition of the course replaces the grade earned initially, even if the second grade is lower than the first grade. The initial grade remains on the record but is not reflected in the grade point average. A repeat card must be filed with the School of Graduate Studies at the time of registration.

Applying Credits Earned in One Graduate Program Toward Another Graduate Degree

Credits from other University of Wisconsin-Platteville graduate degree programs may be applied to a second graduate degree at UW-Platteville upon the recommendation of the program faculty, up to a maximum of 50% of the credits required for the degree. The total of credits from other University of Wisconsin-Platteville degree programs and credits transferred from other institutions cannot exceed 50 percent of the credits required for the degree.

Withdrawing from School

To be official, any withdrawal from the university must be cleared with the Registrar’s Office, Counseling Services, the student’s academic advisor, the Student Housing Office, the Financial Aid Office, the Student Center Office, the Karrmann Library, the Textbook Center, and the Cashier’s Office. All fees and assessments must be paid on all books returned to the library before an official clearance to withdraw can be given. Specific directions concerning withdrawal may be received by contacting the Registrar’s Office.

Retention, Probation, and Dismissal

An overall 3.00 graduate grade point average is required to maintain full standing. If the overall grade point average drops below 3.00, the student is placed on probation. If after an additional twelve graduate credits, the student’s grade point average remains below 3.00, the student will be dismissed.

Time Limitation

Graduate students are allowed seven years from the date of admission into a master’s program to complete degree requirements. Extensions will be granted for unusual health conditions, fulfillment of military obligations, or other extenuating circumstances. Students may petition for an extension, in writing, to their graduate advisor. The graduate advisor will then inform the School of Graduate Studies, in writing, of his or her recommendation. The dean of the School of Graduate Studies will make the final decision.

Discontinuation of Inactive Students

Graduate students who are inactive (non-registration) after three academic years (fall/spring/summer) will be discontinued from their graduate program. Students may reapply for admission to the same or another graduate program. However, credits earned previously at University of Wisconsin-Platteville may be applied to the student’s graduate program only upon the approval of the student’s advisor, the director/coordinator of the graduate program, and the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Student Discipline and Academic Misconduct

The Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs handles matters involving students’ rights and responsibilities. The assistant chancellor’s responsibilities regarding discipline are two-fold: to ensure that students are treated fairly, and to see that students meet university policies and regulations. The assistant chancellor is guided in this effort by Chapters 14, 17, and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code and by those regulations specific to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. (See the University of Wisconsin-Platteville “Policies Governing Student Life” on-line at for details regarding student disciplinary procedures and the conduct expectations in chapters 14, 17, and 18.)

The university may discipline a student for academic dishonesty, including any of the following or similar examples of false representation of a student’s performance:

or complete details, review the URL or request a printed version from the Office of Student Affairs.


The following items need attention before graduation.

The Last Semester

Students must be enrolled in the term in which they graduate at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville or they may be enrolled at another institution completing transfer work. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the School of Graduate Studies of his or her intent to graduate by completing and submitting a “File for Master’s” form with the School of Graduate Studies by the end of the 10th day of classes. The “File for Master’s” form is available online at

Graduate Paper

After completing the thesis, seminar paper, or educational project the student should deposit the original paper/project and an extra abstract with the School of Graduate Studies. A binding fee of $24.00 per seminar paper or educational project copy and $30.00 per thesis copy is required at the time of deposit.

Graduation Fee

Before the end of the term in which the degree is to be granted, the student must pay the graduation fee ($25.00) as well as all outstanding debts to the university.


Students who complete the requirements for master’s degrees are invited to be present at the next spring or fall commencement program. At this commencement, degrees will be formally conferred.


Official transcripts of a student’s record may be obtained by written request to the Registrar’s Office, 101 Brigham Hall, (608) 342-1321, fax (608) 342-1389. Transcript request forms are available at the Registrar’s Office or you can download the form from website\~registrar\transcripts.html. Request must include the student’s signature, social security number, date of birth, dates of attendance, and address where the transcript should be sent. Transcripts cost $3.00 per copy. Payment may be made by cash, check, money order, VISA, or MasterCard. Payment using VISA or MasterCard on a fax or letter request must include the account number, name under which the account is held, and the expiration date. Requests for information concerning activities and scholastic records of students or former students of the School of Graduate Studies will not be released without the authorization for release by the person whose record is involved. Exceptions are made only as prescribed in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act-1974. All outstanding obligations must be cleared before an official transcript will be issued. It is the student’s obligation to know that this record is clear.