III. Online Programs

ONLINE COURSES - General Information
Distance Learning Center
B12 Karrmann Library
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville WI 53818-3099
Phone: 608.342.1468 or 800.362.5460
Web Site: http://www.uwplatt.edu/disted
E-Mail: disted@uwplatt.edu
FAX: 608.342.1071

NOTE: All fees mentioned in this catalog are subject to change without prior notice.

Mission of the School of Graduate Studies, University of Wisconsin-Platteville

The primary mission of the School of Graduate Studies is to administer high quality and academically sound graduate education whereby students are provided with the opportunity for advanced study that may culminate in a master's degree. Through high caliber graduate work, students should be amply prepared to contribute to society, further their careers, and/or continue their education beyond the master's degree.

History of Distance Learning

UW-Platteville's rich tradition in distance education began in 1979 when a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration was made available to working adults throughout Wisconsin. In 1996, the program extended its reach to adults throughout the United States.

As new delivery techniques became available such as audioteleconferencing, audiographics, compressed video, full-motion video, and the Internet, the university began to develop several distance learning projects to serve the new groups of students who are not able to attend class on a traditional campus. In 1999, both print-based and online courses for the Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration were offered, and three 100% online master's degrees were developed in Criminal Justice, Project Management, and Engineering. The programs are available worldwide. The resources and staff from the various programs involved in distance education were brought together in one location to form the Distance Learning Center.

Benefits of Earning a Master's Degree at a distance from UW-Platteville

Distance learning is designed to serve adults looking for personal fulfillment, advancement in their present jobs, or for a complete career change. A University of Wisconsin-Platteville master's degree can be earned through distance learning while simultaneously meeting one's professional and personal commitments. We currently offer three complete master's degrees at a distance. No campus visits are required. All programs are delivered in a 100% online format, accessed through an Internet browser.

The online courses are offered on a semester basis roughly following the fall, spring, and summer terms. Students may start registering approximately three months prior to the start of the course and must register no later than two weeks prior to the start of the course.

For detailed information, course availability, tuition rates, and registration instructions, please visit our web site at http://www.uwplatt.edu/disted.

Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity


It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville to provide equal opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, pregnancy, political affiliation, arrest or conviction record, identity as a veteran, disabled veteran, Vietnam era veteran, membership in the national guard, state defense force or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or this state. Sexual harassment is illegal and will not be tolerated. Co-workers and supervisors may not retaliate against any employee, student, or job applicant because he or she filed a complaint, assisted in an investigation or participated in any proceeding alleging discrimination on the foregoing basis.

The University ensures physical accessibility to work environments for persons with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment. Upon request, the University will provide reasonable accommodations for religious observances and practices.

The University is committed to a program of affirmative action for women, racial minorities, persons with disabilities, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era. While the Chancellor assumes overall responsibility for the success of the program, university administrators and supervisors are responsible and accountable for implementation. Authority for monitoring the program is delegated to the Director of Personnel.

Each individual associated with the University is encouraged to pledge a new and revitalized commitment to build and maintain a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination - an environment that fosters mutual respect, recognizes the dignity and worth of all people, and promotes to the fullest, equal employment opportunity through affirmative action.

Students having concerns or questions about discrimination, harassment or sexual assault are encouraged to contact the Personnel Office (322 Brigham Hall, 342-1776). All inquiries will be treated confidentially.

Research Involving Human Subjects

All research that involves humans as subjects, or data or materials derived from humans, must be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board for Human Subject Research (IRB) before the research is initiated.

Students must prepare a research protocol, describing their project and addressing human subject issues, and then submit the protocol to the IRB for review. Students may obtain a manual of policies and procedures to review research involving human subjects from the Office of Sponsored Programs, 321 Brigham Hall, (608) 342-1456. IRB information is online at http://www.uwplatt.edu/sponprog.

Degrees and Programs

Currently, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville offers three 100% online graduate degrees. No campus visits are required.



The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.



The School of Graduate Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville holds membership in the following organizations:

General Requirements for All Online Master's Degrees

Academic Requirements

The following are the minimum requirements for all online master's degrees. Individual programs may have additional requirements:

Writing Requirement

Students in the online programs in Criminal Justice and Project Management must satisfy the writing requirement of their degree program. Students may satisfy the writing requirements by completing one of the following:

Students should consult with individual program advisors for guidelines for meeting their program requirement.

Grade Point Average

Graduate students must maintain a 3.00 grade point average.

Admission Policies and Procedures


Those seeking admission must have an earned bachelor's degree from a nationally or regionally accredited institution recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

Matriculated Student

A matriculated student is an individual who has applied for and been admitted into a degree program. Matriculated students must contact an advisor before registering for a course.

Students seeking admission to the School of Graduate Studies must do the following:

1. Complete the University of Wisconsin Application for Graduate Admission, which may by obtained by contacting:
Distance Learning Center
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
B12 Karrmann Library
1 University Plaza
Platteville WI 53818-3099
(800) 362-5460 or (608) 342-1468
FAX: (608) 342-1071
E-mail: disted@uwplatt.edu

Or, use the online University of Wisconsin System Electronic Application for Graduate Admission that can be accessed from our web site http://www.uwplatt.edu/disted.

2. Provide to the Distance Learning Center the following:
The completed Application for Graduate Admission (or the online UW System Electronic Application for Graduate Admission).
Application fee (currently $45).
*Official transcript from the institution granting the undergraduate degree. (To be official, the copy of your transcript must be sent directly from the institution that you request it to the institution that you specify.)
Detailed resume.
If you are requesting transfer credits for the graduate degree, you must also provide an official transcript(s) from the institution(s) where the credits were earned.
Students may be contacted on an individual basis for additional information to support their admission.

*NOTE: You must request that an official transcript be mailed directly from the Registrar's office at the institution(s) attended to the Distance Learning Center. An unofficial transcript received directly from a student is not acceptable.

Special Student: Students who wish to enroll in selected courses without being formally admitted to the degree program may enroll as a Special Student. This includes anyone who wants to: (1) take a course(s) for personal enhancement; (2) take a course(s) for a certificate or diploma rather than for a degree; (3) transfer courses to another institution; (4) get started in a course while waiting to be admitted to a degree program; or (5) be enrolled on a trial basis. Special Students are not eligible to receive financial aid.

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from a nationally or regionally accredited institution recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) may register as Special Students. Special students receive full academic credit for credit courses taken while they are on Special Student status. Special Students may register for courses directly by going to our web site http://www.uwplatt.edu/disted.

The Special Student may later be considered for admission into a degree program if a 3.00 grade point average has been maintained in all graduate-level work and all other admission requirements are met. With the program area's approval, a student may transfer up to 12 credits earned as a Special Student at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville into a degree program. All graduate-level work will be included in computing the student's academic average.

International Students

International degrees will be evaluated individually. In addition to filing the standard application for admission with official transcripts translated in English, international students must provide a copy of their Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to the Distance Learning Center. International students must earn minimum scores of 500 or equivalent on the TOEFL. Students may request a waiver of the TOEFL requirement by submitting an acceptable justification for the waiver to the Distance Learning Center.

Admission Status

Upon being admitted, students will be classified in one of the following categories:

Full Standing

To be eligible for admission in full standing, a student must have an overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or above, or 2.90 on the last 60 credits from the degree-granting institution.

Trial Enrollment

Students who do not qualify for admission in full standing may be admitted on trial enrollment. Trial enrollment admission status is to be used only in extraordinary cases. Admission as a trial enrollee must be justified by the admitting department and approved by the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Each program determines the number of credits contained in its trial enrollment period, up to nine credits of graduate course work. After a student has completed the minimum (as specified by the program area), the faculty in the program area recommends that the student's status be changed to full standing, probation, or dismissal. The credits earned while on trial enrollment may be counted toward a degree if approved by the faculty in the program area.

Assignment of Advisor

An advisor will be assigned to each new graduate student by the program coordinator upon the student's admission to the School of Graduate Studies. The dean of the School of Graduate Studies will confirm the final approval of advisor assignments. A student may request a change of advisor at any point during graduate study. The student may obtain a graduate advisor change form from the Distance Learning Center.

Registration and Course Policies

Criteria for Graduate-Level Course Work

Graduate course work focuses on advanced disciplinary content, usually as an extension of the discipline content presented at the undergraduate level. When graduate work introduces basic concepts, it typically introduces discipline content that is not offered at the undergraduate level and is dependent upon knowledge acquired at the undergraduate level. In addition, introductory graduate course work may be delivered in an accelerated way to develop a knowledge base for an individual who possesses an undergraduate degree in another field or for individuals who seek to broaden their undergraduate preparation.

Graduate course work employs instructional methods that require more self-directed learning on the part of the student. Course work is more specialized and program-specific, which contributes to the student's career goals and various enhancements leading to certification, licensure, and career advancement.

Numbering of Courses

Courses numbered 7000 are open only to graduate students. Courses numbered 5000-6990 may be taken by graduate students for graduate credit, provided they have not taken the courses at the undergraduate level.

Because courses numbered 5000-6990 are open to both undergraduate and graduate students, graduate students are expected to do work of higher quality than is expected of undergraduates. In addition, the work is expected to be more detailed and thorough, and include projects not regularly assigned to undergraduates.

Undergraduate Students Enrolled in Graduate Classes

Senior undergraduate students attending UW-Platteville are eligible to take graduate courses numbered 5000-6990 for graduate credit if:

Note: Graduate credits cannot be applied toward completion of an undergraduate degree.

Graduate Students Enrolled in Undergraduate Classes

Graduate students may take UWP graduate and undergraduate courses concurrently. Students should contact the Distance Learning Center if they are registering for both graduate and undergraduate courses in the same semester.

Transfer Credits

The following guidelines apply to transfer credits to graduate programs at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville:

Applying Credits Earned in One Graduate Program Toward Another Graduate Degree

Credits from other University of Wisconsin-Platteville graduate degree programs may be applied to a graduate degree at UW-Platteville upon the recommendation of the program faculty, up to a maximum of 50% of the credits required for the degree.


Courses and workshops may be offered at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville on a pass-fail basis. Only a grade of "Pass-Fail" will be recorded for courses taken under this system. Three credits of pass-fail work may be counted toward a master's degree.

Independent Study

Students enrolling for independent study should download the appropriate forms from the Distance Learning web site. The student must complete the form and obtain all required signatures before registering for the course. A student may register for more than the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department; however, the student may only apply the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department toward a master's degree at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Full-Time Students

For fee purposes, nine credits constitute a full load during the fall and spring semesters and five credits during the summer session. Full-time status for other purposes, such as financial aid, may be defined differently.


Graduate students may register online at www.uwplatt.edu/disted after talking with an advisor. Graduate students are allowed to register for up to six credits during the summer sessions and up to nine credits during the fall/spring semesters. If a student wishes to take more credits (up to 9 credits during summer sessions and up to 12 credits during fall/spring semesters), the student must contact his or her advisor for approval. A graduate student who wishes to appeal an advisor's decision should contact the dean of the School of Graduate Studies. A graduate student who wishes to take more than 9 credits for the summer session or 12 credits for the fall/spring semesters will need the additional approval (beyond the advisor's approval) of the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

No credit will be given for unapproved overloads. Students who enroll for an overload without permission will be required to drop sufficient courses and/or credits to comply with the prescribed load limit.

Note: If a graduate student does not have an assigned graduate advisor but is attending as a special (non-degree seeking) student, the dean of the School of Graduate Studies' approval replaces the advisor's approval.

Degree Requirements

Writing Requirement Options

As discussed previously, students in the online programs in Criminal Justice and Project Management must satisfy the writing requirement of their degree program. The options include:

A more detailed discussion of these options follows.


The thesis may be an outgrowth of a research course or may be developed independently within the program area. The thesis will report the results of original and independent student research on a given problem or topic, by systematic and impartial methods, and will demonstrate the student's ability to use techniques customarily employed in the particular field of investigation. Although a thesis for the master's degree may not always be expected to make a significant contribution to existing knowledge, it should be a scholarly document that is accurate, verifiable, objective, and impartial.

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville School of Graduate Studies maintains a website (Graduate Studies Resources) with useful links to guide the graduate student in grammar, style, evaluating web resources, and formats. (Thesis students will find the Texas A&M link useful for formatting procedures and other technical assistance.) The thesis advisor will provide guidance regarding the site. The site may be accessed through the University's Karrmann Library (http://www.uwplatt.edu/library/reference/writers.htmlx). For a checklist for completion of the master's thesis, see page _____.

Seminar Paper

Unlike a thesis, the seminar paper need not be a report of original and independent research. It must demonstrate, however, the student's ability to survey a field of knowledge and assemble, organize, evaluate, interpret, and present evidence in a logical and intelligent manner. Although the seminar paper may originate from work done in connection with one of the student's graduate courses and be based upon a term paper or course project, it must be more comprehensive and complete in coverage and treatment.

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville School of Graduate Studies maintains a website (Graduate Studies Resources) with useful links to guide the graduate student in grammar, style, evaluating web resources, and formats. The seminar paper advisor will provide guidance regarding the site. The site may be accessed through the University's Karrmann Library at http://www.uwplatt.edu/library/reference/writers.htmlx. For a checklist for completion of the master's seminar paper, see page _____.

Graduate Paper Style and Format

The thesis/paper should follow one of three adopted manuals: A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses and Dissertation Katie L. Turabian; The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association or Modern Language Association Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, or any style approved by the major department.

Capstone Experience

Some programs require the completion of a capstone experience as a final project for the degree. This capstone class allows students to demonstrate their knowledge through a project that is a culmination of the experience gained in the program.

Tuition, Fees, and Expenses


Because tuition charges are subject to change, current figures cannot be published in a two-year catalog. The specific costs are available through the Distance Learning Center. For specific information about tuition, please visit our web site at www.uwplatt.edu/disted or call 1-800-362-5460.


Textbooks for online programs are ordered when a student fills out the registration form for a course. You will order your books from an online bookstore and they will be delivered to your home. Instructions for ordering textbooks will be made available after the student has registered.

Refund Policy

Students may receive a refund of tuition upon officially dropping a class according to the following schedule:

Length of Course Wk 1 Wk 2 Wk 3 Wk 4 After
12 weeks & over 100% 100% 50% 50% None
8 - 11 weeks 100% 50% 25% None None
5 - 7 weeks 100% 50% None None None
3 - 4 weeks 100% 25% None None
2 weeks 100% None

Note: This refund schedule is subject to change without notice. The application fee and any administrative fees are nonrefundable.

Academic Procedures

Course Incompletes

An Incomplete (I) may be given when a student fails to complete all requirements for the course during the semester of registration. An Incomplete must be removed within six weeks of the beginning of the following term or the Incomplete will become a Failure (F). An extension of the six-week time limitation may be granted upon written request of the instructor of the course in which the Incomplete was given. An Incomplete given in thesis or seminar paper research will become a Failure (F) after one year if the paper is not completed. Extension of the one-year time limitation may be requested by the student and approved by the thesis or seminar/educational project advisor for submission to the School of Graduate Studies. A student must re-register and pay tuition and fees for thesis or seminar paper research (including an educational project) in which the Incomplete has been changed to an "F." The student must file a repeat card with the Distance Learning Center.

Minimum Standard

Graduate credits in which less than a "C" grade has been earned will not be counted toward a degree; however, these lower grades will be reflected in the student's grade point average.

Repeating Courses

Graduate students may repeat courses previously taken for graduate credit. A given course may be repeated once. The grade earned in the repetition of the course replaces the grade earned initially, even if the second grade is lower than the first grade. The initial grade remains on the record but is not reflected in the grade point average. A repeat card must be filed with the Distance Learning Center at the time of registration.

Dropping Courses

Students may drop a course before it begins. Students must officially drop a course by contacting UW-Learning Innovations at 1-800-442-6460. If a student who is registered in a course withdraws from that course in the first two weeks of class in that semester, that course will not appear on the student's grade printout for that semester and hence will not be recorded on the student's transcript. If a student who is registered in a course withdraws from that course any time after the second week of class, but before middle of the term, he or she will receive a notation of "withdrawn" on the grade printout and hence on his or her transcript. Students may not drop a course beyond the middle of the term.

Withdrawing from School

To be official, any withdrawal must be approved by the dean of the School of Graduate Studies, the instructors concerned, the student's advisor, the director of financial aid, and the Distance Learning Center. Grades of "F" (failure) will be recorded in the case of unofficial withdrawals. All fees and assessments must be paid before a student will be granted official clearance. Students who withdraw after the end of the tenth week of a term must petition, in writing, the dean of the School of Graduate Studies for permission to begin withdrawal procedures.

Retention, Probation, and Dismissal

An overall 3.00 graduate grade point average is required to maintain full standing. If the overall grade point average drops below 3.00, the student is placed on probation. If after an additional twelve graduate credits, the student's grade point average remains below 3.00, the student will be dismissed.

Time Limitation

Graduate students are allowed seven years from the date of admission into a master's program to complete degree requirements. Extensions will be granted for unusual health conditions, fulfillment of military obligations, or other extenuating circumstances. Students may petition for an extension, in writing, to their graduate advisor. The graduate advisor will then inform the School of Graduate Studies, in writing, of his or her recommendation. The dean of the School of Graduate Studies will make the final decision.

Discontinuation of Inactive Students

Graduate students who are inactive (non-registration) after three academic years (fall/spring/summer) will be discontinued from their graduate program. Students may reapply for admission to the same or another graduate program. However, credits earned previously at University of Wisconsin-Platteville may be applied to the student's graduate program only upon the approval of the student's advisor, the director/coordinator of the graduate program, and the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Student Discipline and Academic Misconduct


The Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs handles matters involving students' rights and responsibilities. The assistant chancellor' s responsibilities regarding discipline are two-fold: to ensure that students are treated fairly, and to see that students meet university policies and regulations. The assistant chancellor is guided in this effort by Chapters 14, 17, and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code and by those regulations specific to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

The university may discipline a student for academic dishonesty, including any of the following or similar examples of false representation of a student's performance:


The following items need attention before graduation:

The Last Semester

Students must be enrolled in the term in which they graduate at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville or they may be enrolled at another institution completing transfer work. It is the student's responsibility to notify the Distance Learning Center of his or her intent to graduate by completing and submitting a "File for Master's" form with the Distance Learning Center by the end of the 10th day of classes of this final semester.

Graduate Paper

After completing the thesis or seminar paper, the student should deposit the original paper and an extra abstract with the School of Graduate Studies. A binding fee of $24.00/seminar paper copy and $30.00/thesis copy is required at the time of deposit. Note: The fee is subject to change without notice.

Graduation Fee

Before the end of the term in which the degree is to be granted, the student must pay the graduation fee (currently $25.00) as well as all outstanding debts to the university.


Students who complete the requirements for a master's degree are invited to be present at the next spring or fall commencement program. At this commencement, degrees will be formally conferred.

Student Assistance Services

Financial Aid

Matriculated Students may qualify for federal and/or state financial aid in the form of loans.

Special Students and International Students are not eligible to receive financial aid.

The area of financial aid is complex and requires a great deal of specialized knowledge and information. For this reason, it is very important to direct all of your questions to the Financial Aid Office. Be sure to indicate that you are taking classes online in all of your communications with the Financial Aid Office.

Students applying for financial aid (loans) through the UW-Platteville Financial Aid Office must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your contact person at UW-Platteville for financial aid questions is:

Please contact the Distance Learning web site for current information.

Services for Students with Disabilities

Services for Students with Disabilities works to ensure that no qualified student, solely by reason of disability, is denied access to, participation in, or the benefits of, any academic program or activity offered by the university. The office provides information about disability services to students and university personnel; coordinates academic accommodations and auxiliary aides; refers students to appropriate sources for non-academic accommodations or auxiliary services and provides advocacy for students with disabilities. The services are provided to assist students with disabilities in receiving the academic accommodations needed to ensure equal access to the educational environment and to assist students with disabilities in obtaining access to university programs and activities in the most integrated setting appropriate. The Office of Services for Students with Disabilities is located at 114 Warner Hall, (608)-342-1818 (voice and TTY).

Students with disabilities must provide documentation and must make their requests for accommodations known to the Services for Students with Disabilities Office as early as possible to begin the process of obtaining accommodations.

University Placement Services

Many employers are interested in hiring UW-Platteville students and graduates for internships, coops, and full-time positions. Web-based recruiting is one method to match employers with potential employees. A free service is available to you through eRecruiting.com. Currently, 1,250 employers utilize this site, specifically seeking UW-Platteville students and graduates.

The first step is to contact UW-Platteville Placement Services to request an eRecruiting user name and password. Contact them by any one of the following methods:

Once you have been assigned a user name and password, you can access the services of eRecruiting by going to the Placement Office web site at http://www.uwplatt.edu/placement and then selecting the link "eRecruiting."

You will then be able to post your résumé electronically, look up vacancies on the Job Board, and set up interviews electronically. You can also track which companies have looked at your résumé and edit your résumé at any time.

You may also be interested in an additional web site that posts career exploration and nationwide job opportunities called http://www.experience.com. You may also sign up for a free 1-year subscription (4 issues) to the magazine "Experience" by going to http://www.experiencenetwork.com.

The UW-Platteville Placement Services Office also invites distance learning students who are able to travel to campus to attend the bi-annual Employer Fairs held in September and January. More information can be found on the Placement Services Office web site at http://www.uwplatt.edu/placement. The UW-Platteville Placement Services Office also offers you the opportunity to "career chart" by contacting them for online advice on your résumé and your job searching initiatives.

If you have any problems or questions about the eRecruiting system, your résumé, or interviewing, don't hesitate to contact UW-Platteville Placement Services.


Official transcripts of a student's record may be obtained by written request to the Registrar's Office, 101 Brigham Hall, (608) 342-1321, fax (608) 342-1389. The request must include the student's signature, social security number, date of birth, dates of attendance, and address where the transcript should be sent. Currently the charge per copy is $3.00. Payment may be made by cash, check, money order, VISA, or MasterCard. Payment using VISA or MasterCard on a faxed or letter request must include the account number, name under which the account is held, and the expiration date. Requests for information concerning activities and scholastic records of students or former students of the School of Graduate Studies will not be released without the authorization for release by the person whose record is involved. Exceptions are made only as prescribed in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act-1974. All outstanding obligations must be cleared before an official transcript will be issued. It is the student's obligation to know that this record is clear.

Information Services

Karrmann Library (http://www.uwplatt.edu/library/)

The Karrmann Library is a modern learning resource center that provides a diversity of information accessible through computerized indexes to the library's collections. The collections include 264,800 books, bound periodicals, and Instructional Material Laboratory printed items; over 100 subscription databases, many of which offer full text of journal articles; 137,700 government publications; 12,100 audiovisual materials; 18,800 maps; 906,500 microforms; and subscriptions to more than 1,400 periodicals, 70 newspapers, and 1,500 other serial titles. Many more journal and newspaper titles are offered full text online. A statewide interlibrary loan network and daily van service among UW libraries supplements these materials.

The library's Web page can be accessed through the Distance Learning web site http://www.uwplatt.edu/disted. It provides access to a wide variety of electronic resources available on the Internet, including "full text" articles. The library resources can be accessed either in the library or remotely from computer labs, residence hall rooms, offices, or homes. Questions may be directed to a Karrmann Library Reference Librarian by calling toll-free 1-888-450-4632.