Advising Appointment Preparation
Each student on the UW-Platteville campus is assigned either a faculty or auxiliary advisor. You can find out who this person is, and their contact information by going to the "Student Center" in PASS. Students should meet with their advisor on a regular basis in an effort to get to know each other and prepare for the end goal of graduation.
It is the responsibility of the student to be prepared for advising appointments. The following is a list of items that should be on your "to-do" list when scheduling an appointment with your advisor.
Schedule an Appointment with your advisor
- Log on to Pass, click on Student Center and you should see your advisor in the right hand column
- Check with your advisor prior to registration for how to schedule an appointment and when they would like to see you to talk about the upcoming registration period. This can be anywhere from a few days to a week.
Make sure to obtain your PIN from your advisor so you can remove your advising hold in PASS.
Make a mock schedule using Schedule Builder in PASS.
- Make several different schedules since some classes you want may close before you register.
Bring these schedules to your advising appointment.
Review general education requirements
- Print and review your Academic Requirements Report in PASS (under 'Student Center' link) to keep track of which courses you still need to take.
Helpful Tip: Take courses that count for more than one General Education requirement!
Verify registration date/time
Log on to PASS, click on Student Center and you should see your enrollment date in the right-hand column.
- Log on to PASS, click on Student Center and you should see your enrollment date in the right-hand column.
Other topics you might want to bring up with your advisor:
- Studying Abroad
- Summer Internships/Research Experiences
- Minors that might be appropriate or beneficial with your major
Tips for succeeding in college
Unsure of your current major? Not sure what major, minor, or emphasis to choose?
- Talk to your advisor! They can also help point you in the right direction for help or other options.
- The friendly advisors in the Academic and Career Advising Center (ACAC) can be a great help when trying to decide on a major.
- Other resources available:
Academic Support Programs
3rd floor Brigham Hall
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818
Check out all of the Academic Support Program Resources!