Become a UTS Tutor
Interested in a peer tutor position?
Tutoring Services employs 60-90 peer tutors each semester on an as-needed basis. Tutors provide individual and drop-in tutoring sessions in subjects in which the tutor has attained a grade of B or better. Tutors act as a guide and coach to facilitate learning and assist the student in becoming a successful, independent learner. The purpose of tutoring is to increase and enhance mastery of concepts or applications of a specific course of study. Tutors integrate effective study and learning strategies to maximize the tutee's potential for academic progress.
- Be a current student at UW-Platteville with a course load of at least six (6) credits.
- Have earned a grade no lower than B or have tested out of the course in which you wish to tutor.
- Be a model academic student with a minimum GPA of 2.75.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from an instructor in one of the courses you wish to tutor.
- Be available to tutor a minimum of four (4) hours per week.
- Have completed a semester of post-secondary education.
- Have effective interpersonal communication skills and ease in relating to people of varying backgrounds.
To learn more about becoming a tutor for Tutoring Services, please contact our office at 608.342.1615 or visit our office on the third floor of Brigham Hall to schedule an appointment to meet with the tutor coordinator.
"The most rewarding part of my job is when a concept clicks in a tutee's head. I don't really think much can compare to the satisfaction of being partially responsible for making that click happen."
Tutor Survey Comment, Spring 2013
Continuously hiring tutors for math,engineering, chemistry and physics courses. Check out the full list here! If you are interested, please call 608.342.1615 to make an appointment with the Tutoring Coordinator.
University Tutoring Services Newsletter
Check out our Fall 2014 newsletter, which includes tips for staying motivated and mastering time management!
Location: 3rd Floor Brigham Hall
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tutoring sessions are scheduled by the tutor and tutee at a time and location that are convenient to both parties. On-site facilities are available for tutoring until 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and until 4:00 p.m. on Friday.
To request disability accommodations, please contact Tami Boebel at 608.342.1615.
University Tutoring Services typically employs 60 to 90 student employees per semester.